Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To all you Dutchlanders
Hi,

Am heading for Amsterdam this weekend .. last time I was there I was a typical Brit, not even a hello & thanks in Dutchlandish :oops:

Any suggested "friendly" phrases would be useful ??

Cheers

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hi Conal,
too bad I have to work that weekend, otherwise we could have met somewhere.
As for Dutch phrases a simple "Dank u wel" (thank you) will get you far.
But I wouldn't worry too much, Dutch is hardly used anymore in Amsterdam.
English on the other hand is; so you should be okay.
Big Grin
Have a nice trip.
Wim.
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
Wim

Is it said as it reads to a Brit with a Southern Counties accent ?

Dank as in "tank"

U as in "you"

Wel as in "well"

Last tim eI was theer I was speaking to a young lady ( not that type8)) and I asked he where in the UK she was from ... she was Dutch born & bred.

I also came across a bar owner, also Dutch, who had a distinct Cockney accent due to marrying a London lassBig Grini

Thanks
Conal Moran

Yoda
dank oo well (I think :? )
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Conal,

and it will bring You more sympathies yet, when You sing from time to time: "Sharde Doytchlund - ulles is forbuy" :lol: Big Grin lol:

Greets - Uwe

PS: my apologies to all my Dutch friends in this forum, I couldn't resist kidding :wink:
Greets - Uwe
Quote:"Sharde Doytchlund - ulles is forbuy"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tarbi is right, the D in Dank is clearly a D, not a T.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
*DUM DA DUM native english person living in the Netherlands to the rescue*

Tarbicus is quite correct about a good english approximation of dank u wel.
The "a" in dank should be pronunced a lot like in the word ankh, the egyptian symbol for life. Wel is just like it sounds. the "u" sound is sort of made by saying oooo (as in ooooh aaah) and compressing your lips into a tight circle. Kind of like the first part of "oops", but putting more u sound into it.

The easiest solution is to just use dankjewel instead. That is the informal variant (as opposed to the other which is formal). It is also easier to say: instead of the dutch u sound which can be hard for foreigners, you just make a soft y sound, like in the word yes. There are very few people especially these days who will care or even notice if you use the informal thank you.

As for the word hello, the word "hallo" will work just fine. Most Dutch people are really quite casual. You'll sound very formal if you go around saying things like goedemorgen, for example-- and hallo is very easy.

For good-bye, dooi, dag, or tot ziens, works great.
Pronounced as follows (more or less):
doei-- du-WEE
tot ziens-- TOT zeens
dag-- dAAA (pull out the short a sound here) + the dutch g which is very hard for english speakers to do-- it is sort of a gutteral sound you make in the back of your throat... sort of the sound you make when you are choking, but toned down a lot.... if you can't do it, then stick to one of the others.

One more useful one is alstublieft which means either "please" or "your welcome" depending on the context. The rules on where and when to use this aren't very clear to a native english person in my opinion, so you just have to learn when to. The most clear use is to say it whenever you give something to someone (eg. giving the conductor on a train a ticket, or giving money to a cashier, but really anytime you are handing someone something and want to be polite, It's sort of a "please take this" kind of phrase).
As a warning, Dutch people NEVER pronounce it how it is spelled or even should be pronounced, they slur it so much that it comes out totally different. Here's the pronounciation that everyone will be used to:
alstublieft-- aaa(long short a) + sh + u(very short u) +bleeft.

That's probably enough. A few polite Dutch words here and there will please most Dutch people (they appreciate you using their languaged a bit), but more than that is not needed. Most everyone speaks english better than you, and if you try more Dutch than that, you will either be mistaken for knowing more than you do and be up a creek without a paddle, or more likely be spotted as foreigner in 5 seconds and be addressed from then on in English. The Dutch are very practical and don't like wasting time, so they'll always switch to the fastest and most efficient means of communication. They don't want to spend twice as long listening to you butcher their language. Tongue
-Christy Beall
Dank u wel Christy :lol:
Conal Moran

Yoda
you probably also need "dirty words" (since you are going to Amsterdam) :wink:
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
All i need is where is teh Bulldog cafe :wink:
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:you probably also need "dirty words" (since you are going to Amsterdam)

tut tut... This is supposed to be a family friendly forum. Tongue
If he REALLY wants to learn those, he can PM me. :o

I'd like to add though that a lot of dutch cusswords sound really stupid if you don't have a perfect Dutch accent--- and they loose all effect. If I go around yelling "god damnit" in Dutch, I can easily reduce Jasper to a fit of laughter.

My advice: If you really need to cuss, just use english words. The Dutch will get the idea just fine... in fact, they have already imported many english variants of cusswords into their language.
-Christy Beall
Quote:My advice: If you really need to cuss, just use english words. The Dutch will get the idea just fine... in fact, they have already imported many english variants of cusswords into their language.

Blast!
Zounds!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Blast!
Zounds!

See? Case and point, our Dutch friend has adopted some dandy English explatives. Obviously of course, like all American trends headed to Europe, their adoption is perhaps a bit... belated.... for some people more than others. :twisted:
-Christy Beall
To save trouble I will only go to Irish bars and use my basic Chinese for hello , thank you and DONT WANT !!!!!
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:All i need is where is teh Bulldog cafe :wink:
Not that far from the railway station...over the bridge and traffic lights, turn towards the left....ask for Voorburgwal....its just past OudeKerks Plein by the look of it .. :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-