Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 Trailer Leaked and is now online!!!!
Quote:Neither, it's comic book art.
Thanks heavens for that. I feared it was a botched job at a historical movie. Phew!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:If it is art, then it comes at times pretty dreary across:

"Are you mad?" "We are SPARTANS!!!"
"You can't win that battle." "We are SPARTANS!!!"
"What about your wifes and children?" "We are SPARTANS!!!"
"Do not forget your toothbrushes." "We are SPARTANS!!!"

All at the top of their lungs, like big Mel in Braveheart: FRRRRREEEEEDOMMMMMM!!!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
yeah, a little over dramatic and lots of screaming...

But otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, knowing going into it that it's based on Miller's graphic novel, which I really liked, and knowing it's not [entirely] accurate..At least I had some warning/background story going into this, knowing it was based on his comic, this as opposed to say, "Alexander" or "King Arthur" which was just kind of sprung on us and did a lot of damage to the historical research done....

Although it's been mentioned it's also with a lot of "art" thrown in there - if you look at late Renaissance into Raphaelian style paintings, when you see [Spartans] you see what's in the 300 novel...totaly naked with a little scarf floating around his torso....So it's 'accurate'...to a point...it's just based on neo-classic ideals instead of actual/current research :roll:

still looks good for a movie. :wink:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
well i just saw some of the Video Journas here:
http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/video_journals.html

And I have to say, so far I am disapointed....
If you at video # 5 you will hear the Stunt Coordinator saying some REALLY outrageos stuff. I wanted to puch that guy in the face for what he said.
(hint they are putting martial arts in this movie)

The one thing that was REALLY cool was Video #3, man I am going to adjust my workout to what that trainer is saying.
Sergio Garcia a.k.a NeoSpartan
Greetings,
it looks absolutely brilliant.....the aspis and dory co ordination is supurb .... Big Grin
I have to say Gerald Butler does make a very good Leonidas and Dienekes (although he is not listed as such) is rather nice too...lol
The Trailer has moved again by the way...
I am really looking forward to seeing this....better than I thought it would be...
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Went to see the new film The Departed this afternoon and one of the trailers shown was for The 300.

On the big screen it is so much easier to see the details, and yes indeed, they are bare chested -- no armor. Perhaps this will change for the actual release, but I doubt it.

Yes, it does look very slick, and yes I do realize this is based on Miler's graphic novel and therefore it is going for a very "stylized" look.

Even so...

This looks to have more in common with The Lord Of The Rings than with the Greco-Persian wars.

Just loved the charging Rhino -- I assume it is the Persian version of heavy armor ala the M1A1. (And it is different from the elephants, giant or otherwise, used in LOTR and Alexander.) Confusedhock: :? wink:

The Spartans do seem to have just one vocal style -- shouting.

All kidding aside, I know this is a comic book and sometimes "you just have to let art flow over you" but I do hope this film does not preclude any others about this battle. In fact I do hope it does well enough to motivate another studio to do Gates Of Fire.

Hope springs eternal.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:All kidding aside, I know this is a comic book and sometimes "you just have to let art flow over you" but I do hope this film does not preclude any others about this battle.
They should have done an animated movie.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:They should have done an animated movie.

From the heavy use of green screen computer effects is it, for all practical purposes, an animated film in all but the traditional sense of that word.

Of course they are trying to repeat the success of Sin City and so have adopted the same style & look.

Now that the trailer is in theatres it is also up on the Apple web site. It is slightly different from the one leaked a couple of weeks ago (as I remember that one).

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Please, please don't turn this into one of THOSE threads where we all whine about the type of armour worn, the fabric choices, blah blah blah. If anyone here moans about the historical inaccuracies of this movie given it's basis on Frank Miller's graphic novel, I swear I will beat you senseless with a herring! Wink

IT'S A BLOODY MOVIE!!!

Honestly, if they were trying to make it remotely historical, we'd have another Gladiator or Alexander on our hands. That was not their intent...unless it wasn't obvious from the heavy FX in the teaser.

It's a comic book movie boys. Certainly no more than that.

Legion: TBD
Quote:They should have done an animated movie.

I think I'd rather have a good quality non-animated one over this...cartoon?