Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Novel Question (Book)
I have been doing research for a novel ight now mainly about training and such. I read that they would give probatio (New Recruits) a gladius and spatha that weighed twice as much as the real ones for training the same went for the pilum. How much would that be? Also if anyone knows a good site that looks deeply into training i would like to see it I have not been able to find ant good sites. If anyone would like to be in my book as a character give me the roman name of the character what they are like and what position the obtain. ^_^
Legionare Vibius Atimonius
Ben Hathaway[/i]
Although I don't want to say anything unkind about the websites that so many reenactment groups have made with so much love and dedication, I think that the best you can do is not checking the web, but visiting the library. In the books mentioned on our "indispensable booklist", you will find everything you need. The web is a beautiful place, but not a substitute for a library; sites like RAT are best used to discuss subjects to exchange opinions.

Don't read this message as a reproach and an order to come back only after you've done your studies. But as webmaster of a large site on ancient history, and a teacher, I know the weaknesses of the web...
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thank you for the advice I know what you mean about the sites. I have looked in our local library some but it is not very big and there isn't much information on romans there. I will look again though.
Ben Hathaway[/i]
Hi Ben,

Check your personal messages Smile

Cheers,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
How?
Ben Hathaway[/i]
I have figured it out Marcus thanks for the link! ^_^
May good fortune follow you and your blade stay sharp. LOL
Ben Hathaway[/i]
Quote:May good fortune follow you and your blade stay sharp. LOL

I've got a blade from Mark Morrow, and his blades are insanely sharp! :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Try reading R.W DAVIES 'SERVICE IN THE ROMAN ARMY, ED Breeze and Maxfield Edinburgh (1989) for starters.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hmm ok. Any idea where i can get it? Does books a million have it or walmart?
Ben Hathaway[/i]
Hello Ben

You might need a University Library. However it is worth looking for as it concentrates on the daily life of the soldiers unlike most of the other books on the list. It is a collection of articles including recruitment, training and daily life based on primary sources such as pay receipts duty rosters and letters. Failing that Peter Connollys book on the Legionary might be more readily available but does not have the detail you might be after.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
You might have more luck finding Watson's The Roman Soldier in a bookstore (or ordering it through Amazon); it's fairly cheap and a reasonable introduction to the experience of an ordinary soldier, if getting a little dated now. It's also limited to the early imperial period; if that's not the period in which you're setting your novel you're going to have to look elsewhere!
Quote:I have looked in our local library some but it is not very big and there isn't much information on romans there.
You will, as Graham remarked, need a university library; but usually, public libraries (even in the smallest towns) have some sort of interlibrary traffic, which will enable you to obtain books from university libraries without having to travel too much.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website