Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virgil\'s Aeneid
Over in the Newsfeed section there is a story about a new retelling or translation (not clear to me which it is from the news story) of the Aeneid. This is quite a coincidence, because just this morning I was thinking about how I'd like to read a good translation of the Aeneid. Perhaps I should make an offering to Fortuna, eh? Anyway, I am looking for recommendations for a good translation of Virgil's great tale.
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
Hi Tom
I presume you're after an English translation, so:
If you want prose, I'd go for the David West translation published by Penguin.
If you're after poetry, which will give you a better idea of the nature of the work - which is after all an epic poem - but which might not be so easily readable if you just want the story and you're not into poetry...
then I'd go for the C.Day Lewis' translation which is available in Oxford World Classics. C.Day Lewis (actor Daniel Day Lewis' dad) was poet laureate and a wonderful poet. I got the whole of his verse translation of Virgil when I was about 15 and loved it.
Or if you want a really EPIC verse translation, there's one by John Dryden also published by Penguin, but it is 17th century so not as readily accessible to a modern audience.
Avoid the Penguin translation by W.F.Jackson Knight - he thought he had some kind of psychic connection with Virgil which influenced his interpretation and translation of some ambiguous passages.

Enjoy!
Thank you Kate. Just the information info I was looking for. I shall be looking for a copy of West's book.
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Lavinia" by Ursula Le Guin (Aeneid as fantasy) Sergey Lenkov 0 1,292 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Sergey Lenkov