Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for help
Hi,

I am not myself a re-enactor or armorer, but I have long appreciated the research and craftsmanship the members of your community put into their efforts. As such, I have a request that perhaps someone out there might help me with.

I'm attempting to help a publisher friend secure a piece of cover art for a forthcoming book that will be of interest to anyone with a serious interest in the roman army, such as most of the folks on this forum. The problem is that everything has either been done to death, or is prohibitively expensive. This last is most important because the specialized content of this particular work is not aimed at the 'general' market, and so the publisher's anticipated profit margin is very small. I personally have no financial interest in this whatever, but really think this is a very good piece of work, and worth producing. I'm afraid I am not at liberty to go into any detail at this time. I have advised the publisher that in my opinion an ideal illustration that would be honestly evocative of the period and subject matter of the book would be a Montifortino helmet. In any event the following is a partial quote from an E-mail I sent the publisher which speaks to my problem.
>
--------------------------------------------------------------
There is a huge (and very serious) re-enactor community out there- many of whom make their own helmets, etc, modeled upon the originals. Probably every Roman helmet in existence has been so done- almost guaranteed to a very high standard of accuracy and workmanship. These fellows take immense pride in their efforts and in general seem a very generous and helpful lot, and I’d bet one or another would be tickled pink to allow you free use of a photo of his work, with no more compensation than an attribution on the cover flap and the bragging rights he'll garner from the community. There is a very well-known forum on the internet where I could put out a query on your behalf, without of course identifying either yourself or the book in question. At the moment, I can’t see why I couldn’t act as a clearing house for getting a number of images to you, and only when you see something that might fit the bill get you and the owner together- wherein you then deal directly with him.
> -------------------------------------------------------

Well. there it is. I apologize for the length of this missive, and would very much be pleased to discuss it further either publicly on the forum, or if anyone wishes for any reason, by direct E-mail.

I'd like to thank your forum administrator for allowing me to post this request, and also assure you that we can do good work here; as I am sure you are aware, folks attempting to produce a serious book concerning our field of interest can use all the help they can get.

As ever- Ed Valerio
Ed, at least let us know which period (I'm assuming Republican) so we have an idea of what is suitable, and what is not.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, sorry- Montifortino covers a lot of ground, doesn't it. Generally speaking, the book covers a wide period- from the earliest days of the Republic all the way to the high Empire. The overwhelming amount of time is spent in the roughly 250BC-50BC period though, so I feel that any attractive Montifortino helmet- given their long life- would be an honest 'signpost' as to the books contents, and not an insult to the intelligence of the serious student.

As ever- Ed Valerio
Hey Ed, are you the same "Evalerio" from Samurai History Forum, who lives out in BC?

Legion: TBD
No, 'fraid not. There is at least one guy on the forum who might know me though- although I'm not sure that he'd lend me a fiver if asked- the inestimable Mike Bishop. We share some mutual friends, and ourselves became aquainted a number of years ago at the Roman Army Course in Durham, England.

As ever- Ed Valerio
Oh.

Legion: TBD
'Oh'. eh? Well, I'll give you this, Magnus. You've a real way with words- I've never before seen so much meaning packed into so little.
Quote:You've a real way with words- I've never before seen so much meaning packed into so little

Ed, I've never seen Magnus complimented on his brevity before... Wink But he does have a way with words. Eh!
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson