Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geometric period warrior\'s grave
Chairete.
Past Saturday, Stefanos and I visited the Athenian agora Museum. Following are pictures of the items found in a warrior's grave dating form 700Bc.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/ ... df164b.jpg

The sword was found exactly as shown.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/ ... c74ca8.jpg

Maybe its original form was similar to this? A Naue type sword from Matthew Amt site
http://www.larp.com/hoplite/N2full.jpg

Iron spear heads from the same grave
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/ ... bf35b5.jpg

And of course what is a gentleman without an iron razon?
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/ ... 4e426d.jpg
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Thanks for posting, Spyros! You have made my day. Smile

*Drools*
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
A pleasure, my dear.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Chairete.
Past Saturday, Stefanos and I visited the Athenian agora Museum. Following are pictures of the items found in a warrior's grave dating form 700Bc.

The sword was found exactly as shown.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/ ... c74ca8.jpg

Maybe its original form was similar to this? A Naue type sword from Matthew Amt site
http://www.larp.com/hoplite/N2full.jpg
I

Spyros,

Is the sword iron or bronze? I cant tell from the photo. I have a bronze blade, unhilted of a similar shape. Do we have a cronology of sword blades and types from the Archaic?

What is the find site of these items?

LYKAON
(Ralph Izard)
Quote:Spyros,

Is the sword iron or bronze? I cant tell from the photo. I have a bronze blade, unhilted of a similar shape. Do we have a cronology of sword blades and types from the Archaic?

LYKAON
(Ralph Izard)

Hi Ralph,
Both the sword and spear heads are made from iron. This article is usefull
http://www.eclectichistorian.net/Griffzungenschwert/

The grave is from the Agora area under Acropolis dated around 700Bc. I think that for more information Matthew Amt, Stefanos and Dan Howard should be asked.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Following are pictures of the items found in a warrior's grave dating form
700Bc.

Amazing stuff, Spyros! Thanks. I'm awaiting a bronze sword from Poland, at present. When I have it, I'll post a picture.

And of course what is a gentleman without an iron razon?

Bearded? :wink:
Quote:And of course what is a gentleman without an iron razon?

Bearded? :wink:

Well yes.... :? shock: Gods forbid!!

[Image: 104a.jpg]
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
[/quote]

Spyros,

LYKAON
(Ralph Izard)[/quote]

Is yours an authentic sword? If so I’d sure like to see a picture of it if you don’t mind. I have an authentic 1000 BC Italian bronze sword unhilted and am interested in seeing others.
Steve
Steve,

No, mine is a recent copy, I got from Albion. I think they may have some more of these, and are on closeout, BTW, cheap... check the Moat Sale. I will have to cast the hilt and pommel, but slowly I am getting the full equipment to do that. Next items: Electrolux oven for the bronze, $650. Polishing wheel and medium, $375. ...it goes on and on...

Ralph
Quote:Steve,

No, mine is a recent copy, I got from Albion. I think they may have some more of these, and are on closeout, BTW, cheap... check the Moat Sale. I will have to cast the hilt and pommel, but slowly I am getting the full equipment to do that. Next items: Electrolux oven for the bronze, $650. Polishing wheel and medium, $375. ...it goes on and on...

Ralph

What are you going to use for the hilt and pommel, bone, ivory, wood, plastic? I've been thinking of making one for mine and setting it next to it, but so far haven't had the time.
Steve
Wow, I can't believe you guys can just walk out your door and go to museums like this. I'm so jealous!
Rich Marinaccio
Quote:Wow, I can't believe you guys can just walk out your door and go to museums like this. I'm so jealous!

It is unbelievable, I’ve asked question before and have had people tell that the particular archeologist that first mentioned the topic happens to live near by and they’d ask him the question the next time they ran into him or someone had a question about a piece they saw in a museum and was told that “I’ll run down to the museum and take a lookâ€
Steve
Quote:What are you going to use for the hilt and pommel, bone, ivory, wood, plastic? I've been thinking of making one for mine and setting it next to it, but so far haven't had the time.

The hilt and pommel will be bronze. There is a bronze for casting called "Ancient Bronze" as it contains no zinc. When zinc appears in bronze, it is usually referred to as "Roman bronze" because the Romans added calamine ore around the first century. More or less. I will use olive wood for the grip, and copper rivets, probably. Or silver. Mycenaean or Archaic plastic Big Grin is hard to come by, and there is a lot of fake plastic out there, so I won't use it...

This project is on the "too be done..." shelf. I need to finish up a few more projects, like my Boeotian shield and actually start casting some smaller objects before moving to anything Iike the hilt. I would push it forward for my Archaic Cretan panoply (see other thread), if I thought bronze swords were in use 650-600. But they don't seem to be.

And it would help, as Floofthegoof mentioned, to be able to visit all the local museums. However, there are no local finds of anything European here until about 1542, despite the claims of the local hoodoo zahzam psychic transcendental energy wave folks. No Romans, no Greeks, Cartheginians, Phonicians, Egyptians, or Aliens... unfortunate...

Ralph
the narrow minded
Quote:
Steve Sarak:3obwi52j Wrote:What are you going to use for the hilt and pommel, bone, ivory, wood, plastic? I've been thinking of making one for mine and setting it next to it, but so far haven't had the time.

The hilt and pommel will be bronze. There is a bronze for casting called "Ancient Bronze" as it contains no zinc. When zinc appears in bronze, it is usually referred to as "Roman bronze" because the Romans added calamine ore around the first century. More or less. I will use olive wood for the grip, and copper rivets, probably. Or silver. Mycenaean or Archaic plastic Big Grin is hard to come by, and there is a lot of fake plastic out there, so I won't use it...

This project is on the "too be done..." shelf. I need to finish up a few more projects, like my Boeotian shield and actually start casting some smaller objects before moving to anything Iike the hilt. I would push it forward for my Archaic Cretan panoply (see other thread), if I thought bronze swords were in use 650-600. But they don't seem to be.

And it would help, as Floofthegoof mentioned, to be able to visit all the local museums. However, there are no local finds of anything European here until about 1542, despite the claims of the local hoodoo zahzam psychic transcendental energy wave folks. No Romans, no Greeks, Cartheginians, Phonicians, Egyptians, or Aliens... unfortunate...

Ralph
the narrow minded

OOPS, just for point of clarity, my sword is hilted, just doesn’t have a grip. I have a picture of a sword similar to mine, taken at some museum and the grip was made out of either bone or ivory. The contrast makes for a pretty good looking sword.
Steve
Ralph,
What do you mean, no Aliens here? Haven't you ever heard of Roswell? Oh, wait a minute. You're from Roswell, aren't you? Oh, well, strike that.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hellenistic warrior\'s grave found. Laran 20 4,489 12-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite