Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
leather handguard
Salvete,

I know there is no proof for a leather handguard, worn to avoid bruising the hand when the scutum is caried for a long time. I know a lot of groups use some kind of leather handguards though.

Can someone tell me how to make such a handguard or give me a simple drawing?

Thanks in advance,
Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Is there noone out there that uses such a handprotection? I've seen it used by the members of the Römercohorte and there must be others who use it...

Vale
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Well, from what I've seen in the States, alot of handgrips are sloppy. Sorry folks, but it's true. I had the opportunity to see a bunch of them when they came to Lafe.

It would only take a little more time with a file to round off those corners so it wouldn't hurt to hold it. Additionally open the hole up bigger. People are using measurement from Antiquity when Roman hands were smaller than most of ours.

Another way is to stitch leather around the hole like you would stitch leather on the outer rim. That looks sharp and is quite comfortable. But you still have to round off the corners to do so.

The local Roman groups around here still don't round off them corners! And they make it known it hurts when they get hit by another shield or a spear. Funny how the Celtic shields my group has never had that problem. The Celtic shields get well rounded and have solid integral handles. The handles don't even need rivets to hold 'em on. Anyway, I know you're asking about the Scutum. Maybe something I said helps.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Thanks Lugorix!

The handhole in my scutum is pretty large and I haven't had complaints about pain and such yet. It's just that I have some scrap leather lyingaround and I wanted to make a handguard, that's why I'm asking about a description or a draing :wink:

Cheers,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I cast my vote with Lugorix. the 4 1/2 to 5" (110-125mm) hole is too small for my hand. I wonder why people I know don't get it, that the old scuta were made for smaller handed peoples. They had to be, because while my hand measures right at 4" (100mm) I build my scuta with a 6" hole and a 6" dish. I also bevel off the edge of the hole, so there's no sharp corners.

Call it farby if you want to, guys, but it fits my hand well, and I don't have to wear a velcro-backed sports glove, or wrap my hand with cloth like I see many doing. Sorry if that bothers somebody.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I know I wouldn't like sharp corners on something I had to carry so long over such large distances Smile

I agree that the shield should be changed ('finetuned'), this would be better than inventing things we have no evidence for.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I actually rounded over the top edge of the hole rather significantly and sloped the central brace above the hole as well to protect the back of my hand. For 'padding' I just put a piece of sheepskin into the umbo that extends a few inches above the top edge of the hole and attaches to the scutum with a piece doublesidius tapeus :lol:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:For 'padding' I just put a piece of sheepskin into the umbo that extends a few inches above the top edge of the hole and attaches to the scutum with a piece doublesidius tapeus Laughing

Aahhh, doublesidius tapeus every roman's best friend :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manica handguard Marcus Mummius 11 2,597 02-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs