Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barbarians, designed by Keith Poulter
I have recently picked up this boardgame, published in 1994 by KP Games in association with 3W Inc.<br>
<br>
It is HUGE with four 1 meter by 0.5 meter glossy maps covering the whole Rhine-Danube border from Frisia to Thrace. The border runs through the middle of each map so you have as much tribal territory as Roman. All the Tribal names and boundaries are there as is the Roman road system and towns and cities. It excludes Britannia though the designer states in his notes that he is considering an extension to include those provinces.<br>
<br>
There are 1000 pieces covering units and events of a high quality, at least as good as the old AH games.<br>
<br>
32 Scenarios cover from Caesar's campaigns in Gaul and against Ariovistus through to the frontier collapse of 258-260. Quoted sources are Ferrill, Luttwak, Parker, and Tacitus.<br>
<br>
It really is a superb learning tool and I am surprised never to have heard of it before or seen comment on these boards.<br>
<br>
Any comments from anyone? <p></p><i></i>
It is an expanded version of Avalon Hill's Caesar's Legions which only covered the Rhine frontier. I like Barbarians very much and the ability to play out historical scenarios and 'what-ifs' as well. I was only disappointed in the lack of a few cohorts of the Praetorian Guard and there were a few legions missing that were stationed on these frontiers within the time period it covers.<br>
<br>
The designer originally intended to do follow on games with Britain and the East but he never got around to it, probably due to the lack of interest in Barbarians. <p></p><i></i>
I sold my copy of Barbarians within 7 days of buying it (and took a loss)<br>
<br>
Keith Poulter's name should be regarded as a warning on any gamebox "do not buy"<br>
<br>
The mechanics are absurd, the OB are absurd, the map is absurd - notice any missing mountain ranges? or the Mosel river flowing back on itself? or the 19th Century canals drawn in as rivers??<br>
<br>
I think Mr Poulter used a Michelin road map of Europe for his geographic source and possibly some Asterix books for rest.<br>
<br>
Anyway, only my opinion. If you like it - go for it!<br>
<br>
Suggest you check out www.consimworld.com for discussion on this and other more recent games. <p></p><i></i>