Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in barracks: when the cat is away...
Quote:This page from the Vindolanda website identifies these sandals as for a woman, but I have no idea how they came to that conclusion. The strap? Or something on the sole? Or perhaps the maker's mark?

[img width=400]http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/images/slipper.jpg[/img]

According to C.Van Driel Murray in "The Early Wooden Forts"1993 three shoes have tentatively been identified as belonging to a single individual( Sulpicia Lepidina) the solea and two nailed Calcai(not a pair)...

I think its possible that shoes found in the fort in the Adult Woman's size range could have belonged to fewer Women then simply counting shoes might show and can also be true perhaps more so of growing children or adolescents.

On shoe sizes, in my experience there's not much of a cross over between adult female sizes and adult male sizes although it does occur, the shape of feet can vary enormously from one individual to another some men have rather pointed feet (big toe first)some women have "square" feet which would not suit the Solea mentioned, feet are fairly flexible so you can force a foot into an ill fitting shoe or one that's too small but the end result will likely end in tears...

Shrinkage. I tend to use a 10 percent estimate of this, so a shoe thats measured as 22cm could have originally been 24.4cm (based on tests by Thornton), the difference is about 2 to 3 uk or 4 eu sizes... so the Sulpicia Lepidina, Lucius Thales solea could have been a 37/38eu or 4.5uk originally.

Style. Female Shoe styles could be indicated by that style not occurring in adult male sizes, however Adult male styles could occur in smaller female sizes(adolescent males) though I don't think it could be counted as proof that females wore them.

I think the Style of the Solea in question is not found(so far)in adult male sizes. so could be identified as female.

I hope this is of some help Best Regards
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Living in barracks: when the cat is away... - by Crispianus - 09-07-2013, 07:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Barracks Lothia 0 428 11-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Lothia
  Barracks at York Nathan Ross 14 3,045 07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Barracks for 120 cavalry of a legion JeffF 29 5,399 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio