Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The phalanx\'s mule
Here's my doros (or ballantion) and my putine (slightly anachronistic, but covered in leather like most 6th C. athletic examples) and a net forage bag, ready for my Skeuoforos to carry them.

[Image: n681611203_1620430_1821.jpg]

And here's the detail on my doros.

[Image: n681611203_1620428_1301.jpg]
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Quote:Spyros an excellent topic to discuss. However, I was under the impression the Gylios was actually the basket. I love the figure of the skeuoforos you have posted. He looks like a travelling salesman with all that gear.

My favourite water canteen is Harvard 1925.30.15, I know its a Red Figure Apulian work of art from between 400 and 450 but I haven't come across a greek image yet.

With that expression on his face he looks like a used car salesman. Or the bum from the Robin Hood tale that got the better of Robin and some of his men.
Timothy Hanna
Kineas,very nice kit. Your canteen must be an exact museum replica? And the bag? Was it constructed using an ancient depiction as reference? Even if not, it looks great.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
The doros is taken from the commachio bag with some "improvements"--a third c. BC buckle from HR Replicate so I can wear it over armour or just over a chiton, and longer thong ties so I can roll my chlamys under the flap. I have yet to find a square bottom bag in Greek art, which makes me queezy, but I decided to go with the existing ancient bag over something I'd "make up.' The bag was built by my friend Ridgely Davis, one of the best leather workers I know--all I did was the metalwork and the straps.

The net bag is visible in dozens if not hundreds of vase illustrations.

The canteen is a beautiful copy from Venetian Cat [url:2k1chlx4]http://venetiancat.com/[/url]

All I did was cover it in leather and put a linen strap on, as per my best understanding of the way athletic canteens are illustrated.

Although most guys will probably prefer to have a linen haversack to a leather one (for price reasons) this equipment is the "basic" camping gear for an immersion event. Water, food, spare clothes. Ready to March!
Has anyone seen the CVA illus of Herakles in what appears to be a backpack?

It's an earlier item in the British Museum. The citation says "Black figure 550 BC ot 500BC" and I'm attaching the illustration from the CVA itself, which I think is now open source.

[Image: n681611203_1677302_5815.jpg]

If that's not a pack--or a pack basket...what is it?
The one Heracles is holding? I see his club and the lion skin hunging from it. You can actually see the tail of the lion. Nice vase thought. Also note the old style sword. And the centaur's hunt trophies...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Giannis, I assure you that the lion skin is not dangling from his club. If you look up the vase on the CVA you'll get better views, but the club ends at his shoulder--the lion skin is covering either a pack or, more likely, a basket.
Can't you see the club emerging under the lion skin from the other side? Lokk a bit closer to distinguish it from the lion skin's dots. The artist actually shows how it is hunging from the two sides of the club. The fact that the club seems like it ends in his showlder is misleading. And if you think of it, he must have balanced it with something,if it ends on his shoulder it's rather uncomfortable.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Wow.

you're absolutely right. i went to the original photo, eager to make my point...and it proved yours.

Alas!
Which is unfortunate,because I would also want to see a basket under that fur Sad
Giannis K. Hoplite
The problem with research is that it so seldom tells us what we wish, and so often something else entirely.
Which is also what makes it so fascinating 8)
Giannis K. Hoplite