Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator food
Does anyone have any reliable info on what the gladiators ate? Recipes and everything, please, if possible.
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Hei Tim,

Hvordan har du det?

Marcus Junkelmann published a recipe of gladiator food in the children's book "Gladiatoren - Kämpfer der Arena" of the Was Ist Was series. He refers in that book to a recipe by Plinius (don't recall which one at the moment). I don't have it in my head at the moment but remember it contained linseed together with some other type of grain. I will copy this recipe when I have time and the book at hand most probably some time tomorrow night. I tried it once and didn't think it was tasty although I added peas and carrots to it and seasoned it with "garum vietnamensis" (Vietnamese fish sauce).

I assume though that gladiators didn't eat only porridge but of course preparing porridge for a large amount of people is easier and cheaper than some fancy meal. But I figure that there could have been meat, fish, different vegetables at least as side dishes as well, depending on what was available.

Hilsner,
Bare fint. Og du?

Thanks for the help, just what I needed. And the recipe will come in handy. Again, thanks!

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

Here's the recipe after Plinius the Elder as Marcus Junkelmann stated it in the aforementined children's book:

300 g barley semolina
45 g linseeds
20 g coriander grains
10 g salt
0.8 l water
0,1 l olive oil

Ground the linseeds and the coriander grains in a mortar, mix with the other ingredients and cook in a pot under constant stirring until it becomes a thick, soft porridge. If required add more water. Season, take from the stove and sprinkle olive oil above it.
any other recipes? something of substance maybe? lol or any roman recipes for that matter? book references, id be interested, i cook quite well actually-whod have thunk it huh?
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Unfortunately I could give you only book references in German though. There are several book on Roman cooking around who tried out the recipes, one of them being Marcus Junkelmann. His recipes are usable also for a camp and not only for the kitchen at home.

If you enter at a amazon.com or any other online book store maybe the words "Roman cooking" and "Apicius" then you might find something which comes in hand.

As I'd said before, the recipe I quoted is just the basis and you could add vegetables (I'd added peas and carrots) and also meat, fish etc. You could season it also with other spices and herbs and with fish sauce. I know this isn't too helpful if you don't know about Roman cuisine, what was available etc.
Quote:Unfortunately I could give you only book references in German though. There are several book on Roman cooking around who tried out the recipes, one of them being Marcus Junkelmann. His recipes are usable also for a camp and not only for the kitchen at home.

And it shall see use, both in the kitchen and at the campsite.

Quote:As I'd said before, the recipe I quoted is just the basis and you could add vegetables (I'd added peas and carrots) and also meat, fish etc. You could season it also with other spices and herbs and with fish sauce. I know this isn't too helpful if you don't know about Roman cuisine, what was available etc.

I know a little about roman cuisine, and I'm sure I can find out more. Thanks! Big Grin

To the kitchen!

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat