Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASL Roman Style?
Hello all<br>
<br>
I am interested in ASL style Roman games and or Rule sets for miniature (5mm) Roman war gaming, does anyone have the faintest idea as to whether such a thing even exists?<br>
<br>
All the best<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
...would be GMT's Great Battles in History (board game) series on Caesar, Alexander, and Cataphract (and their modules). The GMT Simple Rules are also probably useful for you. SPI's games: Legion, Spartan, Viking and Yeoman may be helpful as well. <p></p><i></i>
Great Battles of History is more at the battalion (cohort) level. I have been touting the need for a squad level ancients game over on Consimworld.<br>
<br>
I think there could be a market for it but sadly it does not currently exist.<br>
<br>
I am working on a game for the battle of Adrianople - homebrew - and currently leaning towards maniple/ordo level (i.e. 200 men per counter) but that is still a much larger scale than squad (8-10 men).<br>
<br>
We can only wait and hope.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
...that squad/conturbina/file level gaming would be pointless. These were not 'maneuver' units in ancient tactics. Cohort/Syntagma (battalion) seems to be the most likely while by maniple would also be useful in replicating early Roman armies. Centuries were also not used as maneuver units. Maniple/ordo level of the game you are designing seems to be as low as you can go. For the rest battalion level seems to be the most accurate and lowest level worth replicating. More importantly the rules to any of those systems should be applicable to the level he's seeking to wargame at. <p></p><i></i>
Actually, what I had in mind was not for simulating battles.<br>
<br>
I was thinking about siege assaults, raids, river crossings, ambushes etc. <p></p><i></i>
The closest I've seen is Siege of Jerusalem by Avalon Hill. Each Cohort is broken into three counters. The rules are written in ASL style and the secenarios are presented as such also. Hex scale is 50m. It's a good game but out of print. You can still find it on Ebay.<br>
<br>
Sidebar: L2 design studios, which did the "Streets of Stalingrad" remake, are working on a new Caesars epic battle of Alesia which will be a four map affair, tactical level. Should be good.<br>
<br>
BTW I do a fair amount of 15mm and 6mm romans with my kid. If you want to see what a nice effect 6mm has on your gaming go to:<br>
photos.yahoo.com/rothafen<br>
and view the miniatures folder. I have some 6mm punic wars action and 15mm legions vs Samurai.<br>
<br>
Los <p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
Nice images!<br>
<br>
Did you buy your rule set for the 5mm, or are they house rules?<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
I have tried various stuff like Classical Hack, (and even converted SGBOH to minis) but when I'm playing with my kids we simplify it further with house rules.<br>
<br>
Los <p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco