Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander\'s palace in Bactra identified
The Achaemenid palace in Bactra (modern Balkh in N-Afghanistan) has been discovered. This is the place where Alexander spent the winter of 329/328, and where Bessus was sentenced to death (and probably crucified); it may have been the place where Alexander married Roxane in 327.

The article is here and I will post a translation tomorrow.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Roxane..you don't have to put on the red light,
those days are over, some darn archaeologists hve discovered our site.

:wink:
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Discovery of a historical site near Balkh

27 July 2006

Authorities declare that a Hellenistic site has been identified near Balkh, in the north of Afghanistan, and that it is about 2,000 years old.

The site, about 25 km from Mazar-e Sharif, at first sight looks like a ruin on a hill. Of what is called an ancient building, only the remains of a mud-brick wall survive. Due to natural causes and war, this building has collapsed and was covered by earth.

Said Reza Hosseini, archaeologist of the Agency for Information and Culture in Balkh, says that this site was identified by smugglers of antiquities. They have made great holes in the ruins.
[Image: 20060727142419balkh-203.jpg]
Mr. Hosseini tells that the site became known before the looters could remove the stone base of a column, which was probably made in the Hellenistic Age.
[Image: 20060727142356balkh__203.jpg]
Mr. Hosseini believes that, except for the column base, many objects of historical value can be discovered. The archaeologist believes that the site has been a fort guarding the entrance of Balkh, and assumes that it is more than 2,000 years old. He infers that the ruins in hill are of the same age.

The archaeologist is greatly worried about the ineffective measures to protect this historical site and stresses that the Afghan government must take precautions to ensure the safety of those working this important site.

[Text Haroon Najafizada; translation Sharona Asghari]
Jona Lendering
My website
Thanks Jona!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
How amazing..... Big Grin
Is there anywhere that possibly lists, or even better, shows some of the artifacts from Alexander's period there.....?
I really hope they manage to preserve this site, without any more damage being done..
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Until now, we only knew that in Herat ancient Greek coins were found, and there are famous walls from the Sassanid age. Now, a Greek fort has been identified. Achaemenid and pre-Achaemenid Bactra are still only known from literary sources, but the identification of "the city with many banners" or "the mother of all cities" (as Bactra is called in the Avesta) is now a step closer.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The palace of Boukoleon AMELIANVS 3 1,644 06-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Alexander in Bactra Jona Lendering 4 1,987 09-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Timotheus