Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE ORDOVICES (ORDO-VICKS)
the ordovices fought against the romans and early on delivered a devestating blow to roman cavalry, though i cant find much about the battle or what gave them the advantage, was this maybe the fact that the spatha or effective cavalry weapons werent in place yet or were they and if so, what caused the loss then, sheer numbers? then rome returned years later and nearly obliterated the tribe, my own legioIIapf apart of the reprisal, again not a lot of history ive found detailing these incidents id appreciate any insight, opinions, ideas, and any philanthropic fit you wanna throw-we accept denarius too!
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Auxilia of the Roman Army in North Wales
mentions the battle was in Merionedd in the first year of Agricola's rule and the areas covered by your legio when based at Chester..
That's all I have found so far....
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
thanks arthes, i found the caer gai information of interest, not much on deva really,(chester), and i'll need to revist this again to read on merionedd, i seem to have overlooked it, focused too finely on the camps, have you come across anything from ravenna, camp wise i mean or were the initial marines and soldiers just drawn from the populace there and then hurried on to support legio I adiutrix, then the survivors and later augmentees formed LEGIO II Adiutrix....thats how i currently understand, damn history is so often obscure, sources in disagreement and facts flavored.

strenght and honor new friend
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Greetings Petrininus
I suppose you have seen Jona's Legio II Adiutrix page

From [url:1whv3r3g]http://www.roman-britain.org/military/leg2adiutrix.htm[/url]
Origins of the Legion
This legion was raised from marines of the Mediterranean fleet at Ravenna during the tumultous year of AD69, probably by Vespasian or his supporters, shortly after Legio I Adiutrix was raised by Nero from sailors at Misenum, the latter unit later commandeered by Galba.
During the revolt of the German armies under Julius Civilis in 69/70, Legio II Adiutrix formed part of the army of nine legions under the joint command of Quintus Petilius Cerialis and Apppius Annius Gallus, sent by the new emperor Vespasian to settle the dispute. The imperial legions involved in this conflict were; II Adiutrix, VIII Augusta, XI Claudia, XIII Gemina and XXI Rapax from Italy (all but the last being part of the victorious army from the second battle of Cremona), together with I Adiutrix, VI Victrix and X Gemina from Spain also XIV Gemina from Britain.

Very much what you already know, I think....

:?
regards
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
yeah mostly like that and very similar inferences, only ive read also that the legio two soldiers fought with legio one and due to a political position not allowing any more augmentees into the legion vespasian after he used them at cremona and they actually proved themselves allowed them to be a legion proper, wish i had booked marked that site, anyway im wanting terribly to turn up anything more concise on the early history the intermingling, the initial "mercenary marine" portion prior to the legions official commission

also your a knowledgable guy i gather, did citizens from napoli likely then or later, if at all join these legions, i mean they were sailors from all over both coasts yes?
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"