Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion on RAT
Greetings,
I would just like to say a couple of things..without offence to anybody I hope.... :wink:
The person who started the 'Terminator' thread, Comerus, is a Christian themselves and could laugh at that video.
I also made a point of warning that the video clip I posted the link to, may be thought blasphemous by some....to prepare anybody who may have been upset by the content.
There obviously will always be a certain amount of negativity towards the Christian faith by non-Christians, as there will always be the same negativity towards non-Christians by Christians....even between the best of friends!
You can't change history and simply mentioning that, in a religious context can start an argument....and those arguments are as old as religion itself.
Another thing....how many Christians will happily call their dogs etc, by the names of the ancient Gods or Goddesses.....but will call 'blasphemy' or worse, if somebody dares to call their dog or pet donkey Jesus or even Mohammed...?
(There also seems to be a few large angry dogs with the name of Satan - it wouldn't suit a Yorkshire Terrier somehow... :lol: :lol: )
On a last note...'The Passion' had me in floods of tears, for all the suffering that guy went through, then somebody said to me 'but, you're not a Christian'
ie - I should have been laughing or cheering - 'go Romans, go' .....??? :?
I think it is a shame that Resti felt the way he did and left RAT.....but
it's not only 'the other side' that sometimes feels insulted or undermined.... :wink: :wink:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:how many Christians will happily call their dogs etc, by the names of the ancient Gods or Goddesses.....but will call 'blasphemy' or worse, if somebody dares to call their dog or pet donkey Jesus or even Mohammed...?
That's an interesting question. I think that many people today are unaware that there is a resurgence in the worship of ancient deities. Thus, if someone named their pet "Thor," "Anubis" or "Jupiter," they would be unconscious of the prospect of offending someone who worships said entity. The same is not true of someone naming their dog after the central figure in a "contemporary" world religion. For example, I think that most people who practice respect towards others would avoid naming their dog something like "Ganesha."

As has already been said... mutual respect is the key.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Thus, if someone named their pet "Thor," "Anubis" or "Jupiter," they would be unconscious of the prospect of offending someone who worships said entity.
Although they may be rather shocked if said diety answered when they called their pet....thinking mainly Thor or Jupiter here :lol: :lol:
Quote:I think that most people who practice respect towards others would avoid naming their dog something like "Ganesha."
From what I have read of Lord Ganesha, he is very forgiving, although is known for losing his temper occasionally..... :wink: !
You are right in saying that many people do not have respect for 'minority beliefs' and I admit some that follow 'minority beliefs' have lost respect for some of the 'world religions' as you call them. I certainly respect Buddism and Hinduism although I do not follow those faiths myself and without insult intended, have far more respect for the Dalai Lama than the Pope, as I feel he is a far more spiritual and understanding person.....
By invoking fundamental ethical principles, I am not advocating a fusion of religious ethics and scientific inquiry. Rather, I am speaking of what I call "secular ethics" that embrace the key ethical principles, such as compassion, tolerance, a sense of caring, consideration of others, and the responsible use of knowledge and power - principles that transcend the barriers between religious believers and non-believers, and followers of this religion or that religion. I personally like to imagine all human activities, including science, as individual fingers of a palm. So long as each of these fingers is connected with the palm of basic human empathy and altruism, they will continue to serve the well-being of humanity. We are living in truly one world.
from a speech by HH The Dalai Lama
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I lost that thread and the events that are mentioned through this one, but my view (for as little as it's worth) is that religion was a very important topic in Ancient times (as much and probably more than it is today, specially for the Romans, the Greeks, the Persians, the Egyptians, and all the other Peoples they met; and considering that most religions of yore shaped each other through interchange and divinity adoptions or identifications, a very fitting subject as well) and any serious discussion with the purpose of learning and gaining a better understanding of what the ancients thought, felt, and believed in should be encouraged like any other aspect of knowledge of the ancients.

Religion, as today, shaped the daily life of civilians, shaped the natural cycles of their yearly lives (through celebrations, holidays, etc) and, in some instances, shaped their political agendas as well. Understanding Alcibiades's accusations of impiety by the broken Hermes little statues throught Athens in the wake of the Sicilian Disaster needs a good grasp of Greek religion; understanding the role of the contract with the Roman gods and how being Flamen Dialis almost spoiled C. Iulius Caesar's political-military life forever, or being Pontifex Maximus allowed him a mix of civil life experience in Rome that many of his adversaries would have killed for (most of them being pontifices, and augures, etc themselves!)...

It's wrong to apply current sensibilities to ancient beliefs, because their behavior was not (logically) influenced by our thinking, actually it's their thinking that has shaped ours!!! But there's, certainly, a point were fair study and even critics from a certain POV becomes bashing others' beliefs.

We should stop in that point. If possible, because we noticed we were reaching it; if not, because the other party tells us: no need to leave, just let everybody know there's muddy waters agead in that direction; we are all adults and learners of the Past, uh? On the other hand, we should be bold enough to hear others' thruths (even about ours) and learn from them, not necessarily take insult!

And as a Discordian Pope, I can't be wrong on this,therefore trust me... ;-) )

best regards!
Episkopos P. Lilius Frugius Simius Excalibor, :. V. S. C., Pontifex Maximus, Max Disc Eccl
David S. de Lis - my blog: <a class="postlink" href="http://praeter.blogspot.com/">http://praeter.blogspot.com/
I thank Jenny, Jasper, Salvianus, and several others who wrote & asked. Higher order thought & actions.

Life is short. Many changing, competing external & internal wants & needs. Limited time & resources for these. Our values & priorities shift/change over time. Wherever you store your “treasuresâ€
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Thanks to you too, William. Glad you're back...
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Restitvtvs\\n[quote]I thank Jenny, Jasper, Salvianus, and several others who wrote & asked. Higher order thought & actions.

Life is short. Many changing, competing external & internal wants & needs. Limited time & resources for these. Our values & priorities shift/change over time. Wherever you store your “treasuresâ€
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-