Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion on RAT
Dear all,
Recently religious discussions have popped up in various forums on this board. Most of them have stayed within the bounds of reason and decency, but we have also received several complaints. For that reason, we would like to reiterate (part of) the first rule on this board:

Quote:No modern politics or religion (though discussion of ancient political/religious themes is allowed, so long as it does not degenerate into proselytizing or attacks on other faiths.)

As has been stated elsewhere before, this has nothing to do with us being 'thought-police' (we do not want to control all your dirty minds!), but everything with the fact that we all come here to discuss warfare in the Roman world with some other ancient history spinoffs.

And in general, please remember that posting in a thread in OT or calling it satire is not an excuse to let go of your respectful attitude to other members! This is even more important when dealing with religion even if it's ancient.
The excellent and positive attitude of the members of RAT is one of the most important reasons we all enjoy it here. Let's keep it that way.
(1 laudes point for everyone)

Jenny & Jasper
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
on that note, if anyone wants to have a discussion on the pagan faith, please involve me whether via PM or post, thanx
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
This looks like a reasonable discussion forum on religion in general:

Canadian Content Faith Discussion
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Shouldn't we in one way or another invite Restitutus to come back? I hate the thought that someone with reasonable opinions has left RAT. Personally I think that the posting of the Terminator-clip was within the limits of what is permissible, but for Restitutus it was a reason to leave; no one wanted that.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hi Jona,
A reinvite has already been sent by the admins. However, I'm sure it coul always helps if members invite him back as well.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
OK, I will try to find his mail address and drop him a line.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Profile->email. Easier. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I did send him a pm the same day he post his good bye to RAT,

& some how my apologize too ,even though I did not passed the line but I did open an unimaginable bridge from wich other stuff had crossed & I feel not justify. I thought it would stop with the first one but my bad feelings was right!.

But if he is truly a righteous person, then I think he should think like his master: Father forgived them, because they do not know what they do!.

I hope that touched his hearth, & continue discusing his interest with people whom are capable, & with great knowledge.

I know that in this Forum are people with virtues that can be included on his list. Not talking of myself.

Quote:on that note, if anyone wants to have a discussion on the pagan faith, please involve me whether via PM or post, thanx

Great Idea to follow, from now ahead, any pagan or orther faith conversation as I had.

Thanks

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
We must try to remember and respect the views of others, especially in matters of religion.

I can understand where Restitutus would be upset at an inaccurate portrayal of Jesus. We must not make light of this. Think about the last time one us us got upset because another re-enactor had a very inaccurate portrayal of a Roman soldier. When we take things seriously, it is sometimes difficult to accept it when others make a joke out of it. There are many types of humor, but some walk the line of being offensive.

I would like to e-mail Restitutus myself, but there is no e-mail in his profile.
[size=84:2ykzgt0v]Yes, Alas - I really am that pale...[/size]
SPVRIVS
[size=75:2ykzgt0v]aka Sean Foster[/size]
Just click the email button Sean.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper, what email button? I can't see one.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think he would see any PM through his home box email right?

Well if he allow it on his box :roll:

I would let the Man go. At less you all expect miracles?

Metaphorically; Some times silence make a better job.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Ah. Perhaps he's set his privacy settings higher.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
legion first i say and by mars somebody send him a kleenex, it can only be expected that as rome is discussed pro and con christian context will creep in, i mean ive had to witness the fall of my faith to christiandom as the legions i loved supported it and ive still got love?! and im not bitter, well not so much..lol, different ages of man require different aspects of the divine, it is sensible that man take offense to the stomping of his faith or that he perceive it to be such. but im no pontif

strength and honor
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
After his departure message, I wrote Restitutus and asked him to return soon, that we would be very sorry to lose him. I myself was really curious to know about how one would reenact early Roman Christianity in the army, as (IIRC) he had expressed an interest in that.

Based on his reponse to me, Restitutus is reprioritizing his time and wants to focus on the positive. He didn't seem to feel any animosity towards anyone, but felt that there was a negativity here towards his faith. As others note, it's an unfortunate perception, and I believe no one intended any harm. I too hope that some members will write him and make him feel welcome about rejoining us in the future.

Jasper and I, with the mods, have discussed the subject of religious discussions, and there is a general consensus that 1) satire should not be an excuse for "anything goes", 2) debates over faith or the nature of divinity (outside of a Roman-period context) are inappropriate for the forum, and 3) we don't want to make anyone feel silenced or censored, but above all, let mutual respect for our different opinions prevail.

Thanks.
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson