Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etruscan military
As a descendant of Etruscans, I would like to make sure you remember that Rome was ruled by Etruscans for centuries. We were a bit too fun loving and too liberal, but we ruled much of Italy for quite a while. Our army was led by a Lucomone, who was the leader and kind of a priest. Etriucans taught the Romans about the arch, plumbing, road building, rule of law and military logistics. Taught them too well.

http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/la ... n_army.htm
Hi montelatici

I think that some Corsicans can have Etruscan blood from ancient times & from those who came centuries later as Italians... I'm son of Corsicans by my mother. & I'm interested in them... What I cant tell its how Etruscans look like today, apart from the ancient sculpture & frescoes... I know very well how the Ligurians look like, also I can distinguish a Ligurian from the Italians and those in Genoa, but Etruscan & Tuscany its a mystery to me.

Regards

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Yes, the Etruscans had bases/settlements in Corsica that were attacked by the Greeks (Siracusa) on occasion.

In Tuscany it is said that surnames relating to the land e.g. Montelatici (milk mountains) indicate an Etruscan heritage. This may or not be true. There has been so much interbreeding in Tuscany that it is difficult to say who has an "Etruscan" look. But, if you go deep into Tuscan countryside in relatively isolated valleys, I suspect that the people may have retained a bit of the Etruscan. It is also said that the Tuscan language as spoken by Tuscans which replaces the hard "c" sound into an aspirated "h" (Pisa/Livorno/Siena/Grosseto) or a inflected "h" (Florence, Arezzo, Prato) is a trace of the Etruscan language.
I had an ancestor by the name of "Ambrosio". They were from northern Italy that came to America in the 1700's and settled in Maryland. What do you know about the Ambrosio name? Etruscan? Lombard?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote: There has been so much interbreeding in Tuscany that it is difficult to say who has an "Etruscan" look. But, if you go deep into Tuscan countryside in relatively isolated valleys, I suspect that the people may have retained a bit of the Etruscan.

Oh! sigh! gosh!, I dont know where I put it, but there is a roman historian & illustrator, from 1700 or 1800's wich belive that the true romans live in the countriside too & he has portrayed them, I think its called Bartolo or Bartolomei?... But yes you maight be right!

Thank you! Smile

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Well, Ambrosio is the name of a saint but it is from the latin Ambrosius which is in turn derived from the Greek Ambrosios which means "immortal". Sant'Ambrosio is the patron saint of Milan as I recall.

Not much of a distinct Etruscan connection.

Ciao,
I remember seeing a bit of research on this topic recently! It seems that DNA testing shows that there is little or no genetic link between the modern inhabitants of Tuscany and the ancient Etruscans... (I've put link to the article below)

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2 ... 51706.html

Of course this doesn't rule out some sort of lineage (i.e. through adoptions, etc.), but it does seem to put a bit of a dent in the argument that people from Tuscany are of Etruscan stock!
Greetings,
this is much the same as other findings, that the current inhabitants are not the same as the original....!
Obviously during the various incursions by Huns, Goths and others into this area, those of the Etruscan lineage had moved elsewhere...if the researchers had studied further afield or a higher proportion of locals, they may have found some matches...!
Etruscan inscriptions have been found outside Eturia in South Eastern France, Corsica, North Africa and Sardinia....exactly where I would expect
the population to move to away from the invaders...
They found an Egyptian mummy in Alexandria, dated to the early Ptolemic period, with an Etruscan inscription...if she was Egyptian, why an Etruscan inscription.....???
The cities and cemetries of Eturia has some information on Etruscan history....[url:2mmyh6c9]http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/_Periods/Roman/Archaic/Etruscan/_Texts/DENETR*/home.html[/url]
From what I have seen of the Etruscans...they looked like Greeks...!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:They found an Egyptian mummy in Alexandria, dated to the early Ptolemic period, with an Etruscan inscription...if she was Egyptian, why an Etruscan inscription.....???
The so-called Zagreb Mummy (because it's in a museum in Zagreb, Croatia) was wrapped in linen as was usual with mummies. The weird thing was that the linen wrapping bore very many lines of Etruscan text. What seems to have happened is that an Etruscan book of rituals and liturgy was thrown out and recycled by a linen dealer for mummy wrappings.
Quote:Obviously during the various incursions by Huns, Goths and others into this area, those of the Etruscan lineage had moved elsewhere...if the researchers had studied further afield or a higher proportion of locals, they may have found some matches...! Etruscan inscriptions have been found outside Eturia in South Eastern France, Corsica, North Africa and Sardinia....exactly where I would expect the population to move to away from the invaders...
Prime spots for trading... and not dated to periods that any hypothetical exodus might have taken place.

I think the most likely story is simply that the population was diluted. It's also possible that the upper class (who had enough money to be buried in a way that preserves enough for DNA testing) were of different genetic heritage than the lower classes, and never had enough numbers to make an impact on the genetic diversity of the area.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
class differentual dna? i mean that drastic of difference, really? maybe.
hmmmmmmmmmm, i'll need to learn something of all this before i go on but i just dont think thats exactly right, i think itd be enought o justify or refute the ase conclusively on either caste/class. anyone more schooled in this matter please bring the light
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"