Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
religio legio II apf, revenna and misenum
does anyone know what gods were venerated by the legIIapf from misenum in 66AD-to about 80AD? im wondering if they parallel my own pagan preferences. im wandering if any of you have a POC for someone well studied in this matter. also misenum and revenna, anyone have a real good map of these places, is there one? ive been searching and nothings turning up, all i know is it was modern day capo miseno, romes greatest naval base was there so there ought to be something, right?
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
of religion at the time and of the time i site 66 AD when nero stood up LEGIO I adiutrix at misenum to the augmentation thereof and indictrination of LEGIO II adiutrix (pia fidelis) from ravenna, under vespesian in 70 AD and throughout the history of the Legions up into the 4th century, that seems to be where history leaves us cold and quizical, we know mars was venerated, and the usual pantheon i'll elaborate on later, but im trying to find out what internal cults, customs, practices did the legion observe what local gods where revered and what gods while out campaigning were picked up
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
seems im having a discussion with myself, i was hoping this would generate more interest but then again i dont champion the most popular legion, anyway i see ive drawn two dozen or so views and no reply?

in this time i have discovered the following to contribute to my lonely own

while in deva (chester) LEGIIAPF AD 79-86 , erected several alters within the walls of the deva victrix

mars, minerva and "mother goddess" each had ana altar as well as did nemisis and soter the defender. ofcourse there was an altar to jupiter
and a shared altar for fortuna and aesculapius there are altars for genii as well, venerating the local spirits of the place, the nymphs and the springs, the emperor, and the standard barers, as well as the legion however the majority of these were erected by legio xx that replaced adiutrix when domitian recalled them from britania to fight in the dacian wars
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Sorry I missed this thread earlier Jason (it should've gone into Mil Hist actually).
Dedications from the fleets show an interest in Neptune (doh!), Iupiter, not very surprising either and Minerva. Considering the fact that many recruits came from Egypt, one might expect the Isiscult, but I don't recollect having seen evidence for it.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ave,Petrinius,
I don't know if you've had a chance to check out
Livius.org with respect to your Legio II APF but
there's a good bit of info there.
Just a thought. It's a great site also.
(good luck over there.)
Take care.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
i'll check it out now
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Inscriptions especially are the best indication for the origin of the troops of both fleets. Egypt dominates in the Classis Misenensis, while the Balkans gave most to the Ravenna fleet. Plenty of those in the Misenate fleet as well, however.
Likely: I Adiutrix is mostly Misenate troops (Tacitus + diplomas and a single inscription), II Adiutrix is slightly harder to make out, but in all probability Ravenna (Tacitus + diplomas).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
livius.org didnt have much connecting legIIapf with the religion of the times and little, very on the legion itself, unless i missed it but id ont think so, the site did offer me some good information on other pursuits though so i thank you for the recommend.

jasper which port, ravenna or misenum, was more likely to have soldiers/sailors/marines from napoli join up, i mean they are all within a plausable area would legio I or legio II adiutrix or both have stock from napoli, or was there another legion in that region at that time?
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Definitely Misenum and IF they did, they were probably sons of serving/former naval personnel. Italians with full citizenship, however, were more likely to go to the legions (till the late 1st C AD) or the Praetorian guard.

Ravenna and Misenum are not that close you know, if you have to walk it, it's a good 350 miles.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
right, but enter seaports travel rather common yes? just across the bay really or no i mean napoli to misenum, misenum wass listed 20 k from vesuvius and napoli isnt all that far the other way, or i got a bad map? lol, now ravenna yes its a lil further from napoli the other way

initially i thought from poor sources that legio secondae was started up by nero in misenum to put down the jewish revolt, thats what got me all behind this legion in the first place, it then went on to say it was later recognized by vespasian formaly and such. as i researched more and more its turning out to distinctively list ravenna as LEGIIAPF's origins, however thats the pool of personnel, did they move to misenum to support legio I? pick up legionaries from napoli and in between cities between misenum and ravenna i mean, once they were a officially a legion? if no what legion would men from napoli have joined

thanks again jasper
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"