Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errors in translations
Among my hobbyhorses is that translaters of Greek texts invariably render Greek kamelos as camel, although it is a dromedary. It is a very common mistake in translations.

I am now preparing a list of common errors, which will be used by a new Dutch journal and a publishing house. Translators may benefit from the solutions others have found for recognizable problems. What's the difference between a javelin, a spear, and a lance? Can you use expressions like 'orthodox' and 'heretical'? How to prevent that vague and confusing word "Celt'? What's the difference between apostles, disciples, and the Twelve? Is there a difference between 'naval forces' and 'marine'?

Of course, most of these details are trivial, but errors distract, and distraction diminishes the pleasure of reading. And besides, there is no reason not do things well.

No doubt, all of you have spotted errors in English translations, and -seeing the love with which many of us write about the details of this type of helmet or that type of spear- I would not be surprised if you like to tell more about it. If the problem is relevant to Dutch translations, I will include it in my list; if it is not, I will use it for a future English list.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
My largest problem is the translation of THORAX into everything from "mail" to "breastplate". The only accurate English term that can be used is simply "armour" unless the text specifes the context in more detail. The same thing is done with translations of LORICA.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Thanks! This is exactly the type of info I need!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
But "lorica hamata" we know from ancient texts, while "lorica segmentata" is a word made by archaeologists.
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Gotta call a seg something. Plain 'lorica' would be wrong.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient geographical errors about india AMELIANVS 0 890 07-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Common errors about Antiquity Jona Lendering 171 33,698 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Metalstrm