Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE CONSTANTINE SERVICE AND PROCESSION (York)
Tuesday 25th July, York, England. The Minister.

The date is the 1,700th anniversary of the acclamation of Constantine the Great by his army in York. This is an important occasion for the city, the church, and for Late Roman re-enactment! It really is a once in a lifetime experience. But what the experience will be is rather hard to judge! But using our discipline and Latin orders we should be able to cope with anything. And we think it’s going to be fun.

There will be a Service at the Minster (2:00pm onwards) lead by the Archbishop of York, with local dignitaries and lots of ordinary York citizens attending. Our Constantinian soldiers will provide an honour guard during the service, then lead the congregation and the Dean out past the statue of Constantine outside the Minster, down Stonegate, to the Museum Gardens and the Constantine exhibition. At various points the procession will stop and pick-up local artists and school children, who will be exhibiting works of art based on artefacts from the exhibition. On arrival at the Museum Gardens all the performance artists will do their bit once again, and we all go home.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Sounds great! Have fun and have someone shoot some pictures if possibl?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Certainly! My camera is never far away!

Quote:Sounds great! Have fun and have someone shoot some pictures if possibl?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
[Image: constant.jpg]

For those with broadband, you can see some of the procession at the bottom of this page: http://www.comitatus.net/movies.htm
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Ave !

Mithras are you going to be in York during this weekend? (28-30 July 2oo6)
Who else can I meet with tomorrow? :roll:

Opifex
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
Sorry, no! I won't be there. But you should receive a warm welcome, I was lucking forward to meeting up with you Smile
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Mithras, great show. You did a fantastic job with your helmet, I must say ! That was a very ingenious way you came up with for attaching your crest.

I wish I could've been there with my chi-ro shield.

Theo
Jaime
Here's the event as reported in the local press. About four of us can be seen in the main photo, along with our chi rho banner:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/search/displ ... empire.php

Before anyone asks: yes, Constantine is artistically green; I think the actor was painted that colour to mimic the statue of the emperor outside the Minster

Opifex, you probably won't see this message, but it's very likely you'll be visited by various members of Comitatus during the weekend Big Grin
Quote:For those with broadband, you can see some of the procession at the bottom of this page: http://www.comitatus.net/movies.htm

You certainly attracted a lot of positive attention! Good for you guys!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Theo ... I don't wear it very often because the feathers are so fragile. Also, there was quite a breeze at times and it pulled my head around if I wasn't careful!!

Plus it will get mangled when I'm on the bottom of the testudo formation Sad

Thanks again for positive comments.

Quote:Mithras, great show. You did a fantastic job with your helmet, I must say ! That was a very ingenious way you came up with for attaching your crest.

I wish I could've been there with my chi-ro shield.

Theo
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhibition: Constantine the Great, York, 2006 Viventius 6 2,516 06-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Viventius
  Celebrating Constantine\'s Rise to Power in York, England Theodosius the Great 0 1,554 01-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great