Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total War: Roman Style
I agree that by the video there are some historical inaccuracies.....(like turtle advance in field combat, no philums, but holding swords, where cavalry) However, it's early in the game I'm sure, and it may not actually have these inaccuracies in the game itself. Eitherway I'll probably buy it just to see some huge roman armies clash some barbarians :-)<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Yeah, I agree. It worked when it was shogun because of the style of banner was similar to one used by the samarui armies (even if the images on said banners were not), but in this case it would have been nice to see some sort roman standard, instead of these, uh, odd looking banners, but then again, its hard enough clicking on the unit in the midst of battle in Medievil Total War and Shogun Total War, I guess I can't really fault them for thinking that 'bigger banners' = 'better gameplay'= 'happier customers'. <br>
<br>
<br>
Again, historical accuracy sacrificed for game playability/enjoyment. I'm pretty sure you saw the same thing in the recreation of boat battles in the flooded coliseum...attention to detail probably didn't measure up to wholesale slaughter when iliciting critiques from the crowd. <br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i></i>
Roman total war just looks better and better each time I see it! I'm buying this game hands down and on the day it comes out lol! I'm willing to overlook any innaccuracies, I just want the ability to participate in amazing looking battles on this large scale. You have to admit that this is the best looking game based on the Roman military of al time. But it appears it's also the best looking game about the Greeks, the Carthaginians, hell I even read that you can play as Spartacus and his break away band of gladiators and slaves. Except if I play as him, I'm going to take my chance to escape over the alps instead of marching back into southern Italy lol.<br>
<br>
Yes, sometimes I'm an eye candy whore, E EM I just hope the game play matches up to those breath taking graphics <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=maharbal@romanarmytalk>Maharbal</A> at: 1/29/03 2:13:05 am<br></i>
Oh yes, Indeed!<br>
<br>
looks VERY nifty! I want it NOW!<br>
<br>
BTW, Praetorians is coming out march 11. they should make it the 15th just for historical Irony. <p></p><i></i>
Hi all!!<br>
I'll buy the game, my legionnaires too!!<br>
It's so fantastic!! Aquilifer and centuriones are so realistic!! EM <p>-------------------- <br><br>
... et propinqua luce<br><br>
fulsere signa.<br>
</p><i></i>
hi all...i must say you guys have a nice forum here<br>
<br>
ive been playing the tw: series since the first game set in japan.. and im a die hard fan.. the game is not a simple paper rock scissors game... despite what others may say. to me a game like that is c&c or simlar rts... where u mix and match and make better stuff to beat your oppenent. well...in mp (which is hands down the best part of game) a great deal of thinking is required.. this game is not a click fest.. knowing controls is important, like in any other game, but the winner is seldom if ever determined by who can wear there mouse out the quickest. its much more like 3d chess... with no movment restrictions<br>
<br>
when you first get the game...plz be sure to try multiplayer online... the playing community is above average in age...last poll from our main forum put it in mid 30's. players are generally polite and help is available for those who ask. there has always been an emphisis put on honor, as it was called in the shogun games, now chivelry (hmm what shall we call it in Rome TW???) and i hope you will find are online foyer a refreshing change from the spamming and verbal trash talking so abundunt in other online games.<br>
<br>
there is also an expansion due out before rome:tw...this will be called the viking expansion and will cover the early medieval period, with a focus on the british isles. gameplay will be very similar to rome:tw but the graphics will still use the current game engine. maybe a few of you will come and join us there to practice up before the release of rome<br>
<br>
there is also a nice history forum starting up on rome... we have always had a section dedicated to accurate history...and there were many informitive and livley discussion in the past concerning weapons, armour, and tons of other stuff related to the japanese, mongol, and now medieval times. i invite all of you to check out the [url=http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi" target="top]guild[/url]..this is a direct link to the forum at totalwar.org ( the unofficial site, where most of the community meets ) and if you like [url=http://www.fearfulways.com" target="top]FearfulWays.com[/url] , the home page of the online gaming clan im involved in. well...gotta run ...hope to see some of you online <p></p><i></i>
Haven't played Medieval:TW, so I will not comment wrt to that, but Shogun:TW was very certainly a classical rock-paper-scissors game. (Making better stuff to beat your opponent is not rock-paper-scissors - that's brute force gaming). <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
[url=http://"http://www.fenrir.dk/"]Imperium - Rise of Rome[/url]</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
if you think stw was only a rock,paper,scisors game, then you never really played. btw what was your online nick in multiplay? <p></p><i></i>
Hello!<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Aquilifer and centuriones are so realistic<hr><br>
<br>
Indeed everything looks great. I only got confused when I saw a screenshot with dozends of centuriones standing together, each one with a lance and a hex-shield... <br>
<br>
Michael<br>
<p></p><i></i>
quote:<br>
there has always been an emphisis put on honor, as it was called in the shogun games, now chivelry (hmm what shall we call it in Rome TW???)<br>
end quote<br>
<br>
<br>
How about Spiritus? The latin scholars can give an exact definition, but I think it says honor, chivalry, and a whole lot more.<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i></i>
Spurius Purgitius Macer-<br>
<br>
the total war series has never been very accurate in weapons and unit structure... the shogun series was full of units that never existed and weapons that were never used in real life.. the newer versions of medieval tw have followed the same path...historical accuracy has been traded for gameplay. we of the community have always griped about this and we hope that rome:tw will be more accurate than the previous versions...but no doubt you will find many other inconsistentcies with the weapons and unit structure. i just want to represent the game in a fair lite, im not connected to the developers in any way but there is good news... things like weapons and shields can be modified... and there is already a praetorian mod for medieval tw!<br>
<br>
Gaius Aquilius Britannicus-<br>
Spiritus sounds excellent! i shall look for a good definition and try and introduce this term to our community but its a winner in my book!<br>
<br>
thanks for the feedback!! i ll continue to lurk and enjoy your nice forums...ive linked this board to a few of my other posting spots ...hope yall dont mind plz feel free to come and express your ideas at the [url=http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi" target="top]guild[/url] . the roman tw version is still in production and we could really use some good history guys to set the devs straight! you might even recongnise one of our moderators as an avid poster on this board<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Personally, I want my "rts" and other games to be <strong>games</strong>, not interactive computer documentaries. Gameplay, is what makes the game fun....the details are just that...details. Real life isn't a heck of a lot of fun...why try to emmulate it in something meant for entertainment?<br>
<br>
A balance would be nice, but that's a difficult fine line to walk. I found that games like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, etc. had the right combo. It may be more difficult for RTS games, where there is a lot more AI involved directly.<br>
<br>
Just my 2 denari, but then, what would a denari be worth today? EM <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
I'd say 'virtus' would be the Roman thing to strive for. It means virility (duh), courage, tenacity, excellence and more. It in fact embodies the whole spectrum of character traits a Roman man should have.<br>
<br>
2 denarii? Well, I guess with inflation it could be worth a LOT by now. M <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Well I took at look at some of the screen shots and there was a gladiator running around in one of them, so this game looks perfect! E EM<br>
<br>
I agree with what many have said about history/entertianment but the third part of that triangle must surely be mass market. Without making a game that appeals to a mass market you will probably not make your money back, especially within the PC market .. at least so I have been lead to believe.<br>
<br>
To date the best history/entertianing game I have come across sadly wasn't Roman but was Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord www.combatmission.com ... if there are any CMBOers out there get in touch [email protected] and we'll get a game going. But I digress.<br>
<br>
All the best<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
Salvete!<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>the total war series has never been very accurate in weapons and unit structure... the shogun series was full of units that never existed and weapons that were never used in real life.. the newer versions of medieval tw have followed the same path...historical accuracy has been traded for gameplay. <hr><br>
<br>
I know this argument, but it doesn't work!<br>
Let's take WarCraft III as an example: it's a real great game, great graphics, tactics, gameplay, story - and it's fantasy! So there is no right or wrong, because right is simply everything, the developer decides to be called right.<br>
But if the developer decides (and nobody forces him to do this!!) to take a historic scenario, there suddenly is a definite right and wrong! So if he prints ROME on the box, he has to be honest and put Rome in the box.<br>
And the game would never be less entertaining or less appealing to the mass-market, if there would stand correct auxiliaries in stead of wrong centuriones...<br>
<br>
Michael<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome..Total Realism Question and one for Total War version arklore70 1 1,778 02-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Optio equitum