Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplon image
Quote:8-10% tinned bronze - an alloy very common in the bronze age but not very common today - has a more "golden" hue and polishes up much more brightly than the phosphoric bronzes of today.

Dan, would you say that modern brass is closer to ancient bronze? And if, modern reproduction (color wise) is accurate?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Dan, would you say that modern brass is closer to ancient bronze? And if, modern reproduction (color wise) is accurate?
Modern brass is closer in colour to ancient bronze than modern phosphoric bronzes. Copper/zinc (brass) tends to have a "greenish" tinge, though, whereas copper/tin has a "reddish" tinge. Regarding weight or mechanical properties, I have no idea.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Hmmmm, food for thought. Thank you Dan.

Now Dan has given us something interesting regarding weight, would anyone cared to comment on that?

I for one would really like to know.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
http://s8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_C ... c=347&st=0

The above thread has some photos of my Dendra Panoply, made by Andrew Walpole. The alloy is 8% tin phosphor bronze. It was the closest alloy he could find at the time. It is difficult to make out the colour on the photos of the individual pieces but the photo on the second page of that thread shows it a little better (though it needs a good polish).
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Yes I've seen this photos. There is no need to say how jealous I am. Smile . Thank you for the info.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Nice pics!

I said before, that your "Bronze's Age" panoply ROCKS! The only - possible - thing that I would different, maybe would be the helmet; OF COURSE, this boar-teeth helmets is SUPERB, but I would probaly choose a horned-metal one...

Once again, great pics...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -