Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie to Miniatures
I've just started getting into miniatures and tabletop wargaming ... I never realized that there were plastic models available for so cheap, the metal ones are too expensive.<br>
<br>
I'd like to build a large army of 1-2 century AD soldiers in lorica segmentata. The closest I could find is the Italeri, it sounds like there is a new Hat set coming out but it may be a while? My big question is that there sets seem to have only a couple figures of each pose, are there any available that say have 30 figures all the same, in a basic marching pose, or perhaps with shields up and swords forward in a charge? Or do you basically have to find a set with a few in a pose you like and buy a lot of them? <p></p><i></i>
Welcome to RAT Jason!<br>
<br>
Yeah, Italeri are coming out with some nice sets. Be careful you don't buy HAT's older 1st century Romans...they are junk.<br>
<br>
As for poses, most come in only 1 or 2. What you can do, is <strong>carefully</strong> heat their arms, or other body parts, and gently move them into a new position. You can also try and track down different sets made by different companies. <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Thanks Maybe I'm not looking at the right sets ... the best I could find was this one, they said it's an Italeri reissue of an Esci set:<br>
<br>
www.plasticsoldierreview....C&code=224<br>
<br>
But it comes with eleven different poses, so you don't get any more then five of each type. Do you have an item number or link I could look at? It sounds like Italeri is one of the better ones but all you can see on their web site is box art pictures. <p></p><i></i>
A note of advice: Considering the amount of time it takes to paint up an army, how long the army lasts is an important issue. Metal figurines are far more durable (and some would also say, look better), and I think it is well worth the cost to invest in metal miniatures.<br>
<br>
I like 15mm myself; not too expensive due to their size, but still detailed enough to look good when done right. Most rulesets support 15mm figures (and DBM games are heavily played with 15mm, from what I understand?!?) But of course, the scale you choose should fit with the one's that the gamers around you use.<br>
<br>
Just my 2 denarii. Of course, you may be the type who is capable of out dozens of well-painted figures every day (or simple don't care), in which case, disregard this comment. <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
[url=http://"http://www.fenrir.dk/"]Imperium - Rise of Rome[/url]</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Jason, though I haven't seen them yet, I would bet money that the finest 1/72 plastic Romans wearing lorica segmentata are going to be the new Zevda Praetorians that will appear this year.<br>
<br>
However, if you want to make more than just legionaries, but a complete 1st century army, then I recommend a combination of the new Hat and esci/italarie legionaries for the legion, and the new hat auxilliaries. Later this year will come compatible cavalry archers, slingers etc. I have test shots of the new auxilliaries and legionaries and they are quite nice. Zevda will probably be a bit better, but will be on the large size, wheras a mix of esci and hat will give more possibilities.<br>
<br>
Dan. <p></p><i></i>
So none of them are out yet? Or if they are, can you give me a name or part number?<br>
<br>
The only Italeri/Esci set close to then I see on their web site is 6047 with only a few of each pose, and isn't marked as new? Is that the one or is it somewhere else?<br>
<br>
The Hat 8064 Roman Extra Heavy Legionaries looks good but seems to but it looks like they've been working on them since early 2001? Is the the new Hat you mean? <p></p><i></i>
If you want an overview of available kits, look here:<br>
www.totalmodel.com/collab..._102.shtml<br>
It isn´t very detailed, but it gives an idea.<br>
I suggest looking around on that site a bit more; there are alot of interesting tips for beginners there.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I'd agree with the poster stating going for pewter 15mm figures. They're more durable and easier to paint. But more expensive. The paint on plastic figures (ala Hat) flake right off unless you lay down a special type of primer on them first, like PVA glue mixture or some other such goo. (I have gone this route with1/32 HAT Romans)<br>
<br>
I just finished painting up 120 Corvus Belli Early Imperial Romans and they really look great. It took about a week.<br>
<br>
You can check out the range here where I got them. Nice pictures. Cheers...<br>
www3.sympatico.ca/lostwolf/<br>
Los <p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco