Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh I\'m happy...
Oh, I’m happy, oh so happy…. Big Grin

My dearest sizigos give me this as a birthday present!!!!
[Image: kopis.jpg]
My birthday is not yet, but see was searching all over Athens, and when she found it she couldn’t wait to give it to me.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
It looks great, indeed!

But please pay your dearest sizigos a cent or so. There's a Dutch superstition that if one receives a knife (or similar) as a present, it will cut love and friendship; so it must be sold. :wink:

A famous anecdote is about our beloved queen Juliana (1948-1980), who once was given a hunter's knife and wanted to give the man who gave it to her a cent. But queens don't have wallets, so one of her ladies-in-waiting had to look for a coin.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Brrrrrr, ok Jona thank you for the warning. I'll do just that :wink: .
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Khaire Spyros,
what a beautiful gift to receive - you must love your sizigos (is that sister?) drools...!
I've also heard that superstition about receiving knives....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Greetings...

No, my lady, "Syzygos" means... WIFE!
So, Spyros' wife having similar hobbies/interests and is giving VERY NICE gift - comparing with my wife, that she's giving... shirts, pants and such... "interesting" things!
For example, she lost her nurve, when she saw my 12-inch miniature of Nasgul, from "LOTR trilogy"! She wanted to take it back and change it with something... usefull!

Spyros... this is a NICE "Kopis" indeed! Tell your wife to send me the store's adreess, man!

Regards.
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Lupus, it's some where in Adrianou in Plaka. I consider it as the first step to create my peltast kit. Actually I prefer something like an Euboian mercenary of the Peloponisian war, but that will have to wait a couple of years. The price alone for a chalkidic helmet is 400-500 euros. Oh well, pelta, javelins and a felt petasos are not that bad for starters.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
A Peltast with a "Kopis"????

Unlikely, my friend Spyros!

"Kopis" was the... heavy infantry's favorite sword, NOT the Peltasts'!

Peltast worn an "Exomis" (one shoulder tunic), probably barefoot or worn simple sandals, worn "Petasos" or "Pylos" wool-hat or the... "heavy" ones worn "Pylos" helmet, they had - of course - the "Pelte" shield (simple leather one, with no symbol - most of time), 3-4 javelins or more, according with the man's strength and a DAGGER or small sword - deffinetely NOT a "Kopis"...

Why you like to make a "Peltast" outfit? It's cheep, comparing with a Hoplite one, but... a "Peltast", man? Ok, they were VERY IMPORTANT and EFFECTIVE unit-type, but... "Peltast"?
Why don't you like to make a Hoplite outfit from Peloponnesian War; they DIDN'T wear TOO MANY armor parts, anyway...

But, don't take my words seriously... It's your pleasure, man, not mine. Do what YOU ARE PLEASED about...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
Damn! Sorry if I... F**KED up your happiness, Spyros...

Don't listen to me... Do what you had plan, man.
aka Romilos

"
Spoil of war, dear Lupus, spoil of war :wink:

Think about it. A hoplite is being cut of from the rest of the phalanx. A peltast gets lucky, his javelin pierces the hoplite and kills him. What is our brave peltast to do? The odvious, grabs the first think he can carry, the hoplite's kopis and of he rans. Smile

Poor hoplite.

And as to why I want a peltast's kit? The reason is simple, is what I can afford at the moment and still enjoy this.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Ok, I'm "buying" that "spoils of war" thing...
Although, I don't think a VERY-VERY light and fast unit, would use that spoils in the NEXT battle; but, you never know! I've seen TONES of WWII photos, with US Paras and British "Red Devils" using MP 40 or EVEN FG-42 & MP 44, instead of the pathetic Tompson M1A1"Tommygun" & "M3A1" or the EVEN worst, "Sten MkII"...

Anyway...
aka Romilos

"
Quote:Greetings...

Sorry Spyros..... :oops:
Quote:For example, she lost her nurve, when she saw my 12-inch miniature of Nasgul, from "LOTR trilogy"! She wanted to take it back and change it with something... usefull!
Something useful...like a full size Spartan xiphos :wink: :roll: :lol:
I have always loved 'Sting', a beautiful sword.. :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
The Kopis is my favourite sword. Very jealous. Wink
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Hello my lady...

When I said he likes to buying me something usefull, I was talking about a... wallet or something! :lol:
Unfortunatelly, NOT a Spartan "Xyale" short sword! Sad

By the way... I OWN the "Sting" sword, in the FINEST version/quality of it!
I'm also have the "Hadhafang" (Arwen's sword) and the twin long daggers of Legolas...
My wife almost got mad and tryed to kill me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Imagine, if I'll try, step-by-step, to collecting a Spartan Hoplite equipment!

HAHAHAHAHA!

Regards.
aka Romilos

"
Quote:
lupus:2e6cgazd Wrote:Greetings...

Sorry Spyros..... :oops:

It's ok Arthes. Hey, now you know another greek word.

By the way filoi, have you read my post on the marketplace about the petasos hat?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:By the way... I OWN the "Sting" sword, in the FINEST version/quality of it!
I'm also have the "Hadhafang" (Arwen's sword) and the twin long daggers of Legolas...
If I had listed the others I love........being rather fond of the Elves (especially one called Haldir) :wink: :wink:
I see all these guys complaining that their wives and girlfriends 'don't understand' and I have a similar problem...'ordinary' men don't understand me...lol
I guess love doesn't always come when and where you expect it though.... :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-