Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome and the Unification of Italy
Rome and the Unification of Italy - Edition 2Rev ed - Keaveney, Arthur -Paperback

Gives this book a good description of the social war? I have found this description on Blackwell bookshop.

Long Description
Scarcely more than a generation before Octavian (later Augustus) set out to encounter Antony and Cleopatra at the battle of Actium, confidently relying on the firm support of 'all Italy', the Italians were in revolt, with the avowed aim of destroying Rome. The impressive unity displayed in 31 BC was the hard-won product of fifty years of earlier struggle; and that struggle forms the subject of this book. From the second century BC the subject peoples of Italy were motivated by a desire for equality with their powerful sister, Rome. Their reasons were diverse, but once their aspirations intruded on Rome's private life, they were to have a profound effect on her politics. At first it was hoped that equality could be achieved through citizenship but, when the Romans proved obdurate, the Italians sought complete independence. Detailed reconstruction of the consequent 'Social War' is the central feature of the book.
The war ended with Rome granting its citizenship to the Italians, though that grant was so hedged about with qualifications that further interventions proved necessary - these on so marked a scale that by the end of the 80s BC Italy and Rome had basically achieved the unity which Octavian was later able to exploit. Arthur Keaveney seeks here to delineate the factors which led to the Italian desire first for citizenship, then for independence; he describes the conflict and he assesses its outcomes. He maintains that Rome's 'Italian question' has to be treated as an essentially political issue.

Table of Contents
1 Rome and Italy in the second century 1
2 The alienation of Italy 45
3 The social war 115
4 From confrontation to integration 163
5 The wolf and the bull 195
App. I The Roman commanders 90-87 B.C. 207
App. II The Italian commanders 90-87 B.C. 215
App. III The social war : table of events 90-89 B.C. 220
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
I do not know the book, but I do know that a lot of research is currently being done on the 2nd century BC and the causes of the Social War and the fall of the Republic. Here in Nijmegen someone is working on his PhD on it, a big project is going on in Leiden and recent work by Rosenstein from OSU is also influential.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
About Arthur Keaveney

About the author: Arthur Keaveney is a graduate of University College Galway and Hull University. He is currently a senior lecturer in Classics in the University of Kent at Canterbury. Aside from a number of articles, he has published four books: Sulla the Last Republican (1983), Rome and the Unification of Italy (1987), Lucullus: A Life (1992) and (with John Madden) Sir William Herbert: Croftus Sive De Hibernia Liber.

I 've already read Sulla the Last Republican (1983) and this book was very interesting but it made me more curious about the reasons of the social war.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus