Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for the experts...
Hi there,

I was the other day at Chinese History Forum and they were discussing the topic of Roman shield formations. I am familiar with the variation of the TESTVDO. Now they were actually talking about a shield wall formation. Did the Romans have a name for this?...and...what were the different shield formations that the Romans used? Thanks in advanced.

Smile
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
I'm not an expert, but AFAIK:

Fulcum (foulkon) = anti cavalry spiked barrier http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/2005archeonlitus8.jpg

Testudo= tortoise [Image: h3-gp-29h1f-3.jpg]

Cuneus = wedge [Image: romanj.jpg]

Aciem = single battle line [Image: roman_soldiers.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Ave et gratias Faventiano!

Btw, nice pic with the FVLCVM formation...
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Thanks! I'm in there!! Big Grin
Ivan Perelló
same here............ in the CvNEvS hehehehe

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:same here............ in the CvNEvS hehehehe

M.VIB.M.
With the X Gemina?
Ivan Perelló
The notorious X togetha with the guard......... yessssssssssssssssss

long time ago.......... hehehe but was a laugh!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Actually, both 'testudo' and 'fulcum' are words that are used for more than one formation. The totally closed formations used in siege warfare, but also the 'shield wall' with the first 3 (or 4) lines closing shields, are referred to as testudo. same with the fulcum, with the exception though that I never heard of the fulcum as referring to the 'tortoise on the move'.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Actually, both 'testudo' and 'fulcum' are words that are used for more than one formation. The totally closed formations used in siege warfare, but also the 'shield wall' with the first 3 (or 4) lines closing shields, are referred to as testudo. same with the fulcum, with the exception though that I never heard of the fulcum as referring to the 'tortoise on the move'.

Ave Vortigern!

Nice piece of info, just what I thought. May I quote you for the folks CHF? I'll provide a link to this thread...if it's OK.
Quote:Ave Vortigern!
Nice piece of info, just what I thought. May I quote you for the folks CHF? I'll provide a link to this thread...if it's OK.

Be my guest!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hey thanks a million Vortigern! Smile

Now, was there a 'preferred method' of shield wall formation by the Romans or did they employ according to circumstances OR did this change as Roman civization went thru its changes? It's kind of a dumb question but there is always a bread and butter technique to every war band...so I'm just curious.