Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Europe\'s oldest book soon to be deciphered
Thanks for the explaination, my lady.

I guess, free people can publishing free opinions... We (Greeks) called it before 2500 years... democracy.

Regards my lady.
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Quote:
paulaallen:2ixh84pl Wrote:You're obviously very passionate about this - it shows in your inclination to argue by assertion and to draw conclusions for which you offer no evidence!
Khaire Paul,
I wouldn't call the Witch hunts of England and New England 'no evidence'.
Incidentially, I have been a vegetarian for many years.....
Exodus 22.31 states: And ye shall be holy men unto me: neither shall ye eat any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field; ye shall cast it to the dogs.
I suppose most people take that as meaning it is alright to eat those that have been killed in slaughterhouses..... :wink: :wink:

regards
Arthes

I never considered the witchburning stuff as requiring evidence; if I remember rightly my previous reply made that clear. But that is a long way from being the only claim you made and most of it is pure assertion, with you stating your opinions as facts. Citing all those quotes NOW on this ONE point is failing to address the issue. Can you go through your previous message and give me any evidenc efor all the other things you assert?

Yes, I know they burned the Templar. What does that prove? That the French government of the day was willing to use religion as an excuse for sequestrating the assets of religious monks, nothing more.

On the final point, I think it's perfectly clear that this is an injunction not to scavenge from wild animals.
Quote:
paulaallen:2ns19yer Wrote:
Arthes:2ns19yer Wrote:1. I would love to know who the grave belonged to....!
2. Christianity is a religion that took much from earlier and contemporary faiths and claimed it as theirs, to draw followers.
Arthes

I think that they rather accepted practices and dates for festivals that didn't cause a problem with Christian Theology. You can choose to view this as deceitful hijacking of the beliefs of others, or as liberalism. Here's a thought for you: many people like to think Christianity "stole" crucifiction from Asatru - despite the fact that this form of punishment was standard in the relevant place and time - and in the face of the fact that Christianity pre-dates this story of Odin.

The faith of Asatru/Vanatru seems to have traced its path to Scandinavia and Germany from the region of the Steppes and possibly earlier in Mesopotamia.

EVIDENCE?

Some of the Gods and Goddesses can be recognised under earlier names and elements of early language from the region such as Ossetian seems to indicate links as does Finn Ugric (I think that is the one, may be wrong) to the migrations North

Oh? Why is it okay for Odinism to have its roots in other religions, when you use uyour claim that this applies to Christianity to discredit that faith?

Forms of crucifixion also exsisted in these areas prior to the crucificion of Christ.

Sure, but so what?

Odin was not crucified,

Oh, a little fact like that will never stop some people asserting that Christianity nicked the idea of crucifiction from him!

he underwent a test of faith and strength which can be interpretated as a physcial or spiritual one. He was hung from Yggdrasil for 9 days, pierced with his own spear Gungnir and gave his eye to learn the secrets of the Runes. (As you probably know)

As I probably know? I've been in "The Vikings!" for ten years.

To change the subject slightly, a staunch RC Christian immortalised Odin in his stories, as an intelligent if rather eccentric immortal who fought on the side of good .... he was called Gandalf...!

What evidence can you offer that Tolkien intended Gandalf to represent Odin?

Of the Vanir, Ingvi -Frey can be found as Ingwe the Lord of the Vanyar (note the similarity of the name to Vanir) who is High King of the Elves in Valinor and I strongly suspect that Galadriel was based on Freya.....! :lol: :lol:

Suspect. I see, still just opinion and assertion. And, even if you were right on this and the Odin-as-Gandalf issue, how is it relevant?

Regards
I don't get what all the fuss is about crucifixion. It was used by the Carthaginians during the Punic Wars on Romans, so why is there any doubt that it's pre-Christian? Or is it purely within a messiah-type religious context that you're talking about it?

Quote:(incidentially Satanists are under the 'Christian' banner, as Satan is a Christian concept - but think about the horns and goat legs for the origins of the name - or Mr. Tumnus)
But Satan's referred to by Jews, Christians and Muslims, all of the "children of Abraham" so to speak, so how can it be a Christian concept? The origins of it come from being an angel through to when it waged war in Heaven against God, and it was created by God, so it's actually a pre-Christian, Old Testament, figure. Its actions against Job attest to that.

If any changes to its "character" have happened it's my understanding that is post-Christ in the New Testament. But the song remains the same. If Satan was realised as a kind of faun then it's no surprise really as Christianity became more Romanised. It doesn't change the function, only the appearance, and its function is to cause the end of humanity to spite God and gain a victory over him by proxy as he isn't powerful enough to do so directly (he lost once).

As for Satanists themselves, they don't even seem to know the difference between Lucifer and Satan mostly :?

And no, I ain't got religion, but it is interesting.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Dear "paulaallen", did I say something wrong?

Because, after I wrote a comment, I've seen HUGE "activity" in this topic...
Huge... "sheets" of texts...

Generally, everybody has the right and he/she is free to say his opinion in something, no?

So, IF someone believes that I said something and disturb him, by all means, I like to hear it...

've always using kind words in my texts, am I?...)

Regars.

It's somewhat disingenuous of you to ask this question on the Forum, when I've already answered it, at length, in private. If you insist, I will put my response on the Forum; I kept my messages to you private for your sake, not my own.
This is getting seriously OT for Greek Military History and Archaeology...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
try to discuss politely everybody!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:
Quote:(incidentially Satanists are under the 'Christian' banner, as Satan is a Christian concept - but think about the horns and goat legs for the origins of the name - or Mr. Tumnus)
But Satan's referred to by Jews, Christians and Muslims, all of the "children of Abraham" so to speak, so how can it be a Christian concept?.
Greetings Tarby
I was meaning it was Biblical, rather than belonging to the old nature based or polytheistic faiths.
Satyrs (Gr), Fauns (Roman) or Paniskoi (Pan like beings) were probably the inspiration for Satan's image. The God Pan or Faunus, were rural Gods who watched over the shepherds and their flocks - (like a certain someone else has his flocks :wink: ) On the 'downside' Pan was one for chasing the Nymphs and also had his Eromenos .... !
(I don't know if this is true, I read that shepherds when not happy with Pan, used to beat his statue to show their disatisfaction and encourage him to try harder...) Satyrs seemed to have a liking for wine, women/nymphs and song....(a lot of men must be Satyrs at heart.... :lol: :lol: )
Cernunnos, the horned God of the Celtic peoples is a God of the forests and fertility, the name probably meaning 'Horned God'
Satanism encourages excesses from what I believe, 'do as you will' I think is one of their creeds, where the Pagan/Heathens state 'as long as it harm no other'
If you consider, depictions of those with horns are considered as varying levels of 'evil' but Alexander was depicted with horns to show he was the son of Ammon-Zeus or to indicate his fertility. Does that mean he was a horned God, so therefore a little devil ? (not taking the viewpoint of the Persians into consideration, who probably considered he was....:wink: :lol: )
Trying to keep this mainly in topic.... :wink:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Greetings to all...

Like webmaster right putted, this is an ANCIENT GREEK issues' forum; I can't see why we must talking for irrelevant of Greek issues...

Regards.
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
I thought it was a funny joke. Smile

Legion: TBD
We'd have had the text of the Derveni Papyrus many years ago if those involved hadn't kept it under the tightest secrecy... :roll:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan