Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light Armed Troops and Commanders
During the era of Gaius Marius to Caesar would light infantry and missle troops (archers, slingers) have been under the command of the legion commander? In other words would they have been part of the legion? Or would they be seperate formations under the command of a seperate commander?<br>
<br>
I ask this because in the GMT Great Battles of History Series light troops of this sort are (in effect) under the direct command of the General, and are treated as being their own formation.<br>
<br>
To me, the historical accuracy of this is questionable. Game mechanics are another issue of course. But historically how did the Romans do it? <p></p><i></i>
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
It's hard to determine since so little is written of them. In Caesar's Gallic Wars there was specific mention of a detachment of light armed troops sent to augment the defense of a city. From that we can postulate that they must have had a separate commander(s) who in that particular instance commanded them away from the legions.<br>
<br>
In battle it is most likely that these troops would have been controlled by audible signals (Cornicen music) instigated by the senior commander. In that case it seems accurate that they would be portrayed as 'under the legion commander' in a simulation.<br>
<br>
This would be similar to the velites of the earlier Roman army. Velites were attached to each century. Apparently without unit leaders, they would have been used only for general tasks and controlled by the ARmy commander thru audible signals. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Jeff. I thought this post would generate more responses. As for myself, I'm inclined to think that the light troops would have been under the command of the Legion commander, but I am not 100 % certain about this. Perhaps I should refer this to the antesegnani thread and see what happens?! <p></p><i></i>
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
It would seem fairly safe to postulate that the light troops had their own commander(s) within the command structure of the Legions, however, I don't think one necesarrily needs to assume that these troops were under the Legion commander(s). No doubt this would often be the case, but I think if there is one thing that is noteworthy about the Roman legions, then it's the flexibility (less charitably: chaos) of their command structure. The light troops seem to have been placed in many command situations - with the cavalry, the individual legions, operating independently, or directly under the army commander as fitted the situation. <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
[url=http://"http://www.fenrir.dk/"]Imperium - Rise of Rome[/url]</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte