Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visiting Rome.
[size=150:2j50tus7]Dont You Want To Cry? [Image: icon_confused.gif] [/size]

Funeral Pyre!

In the middle of the Roman Forum lies the remains of the Temple of Deified Julius Caesar which was built over the spot where he was cremated. Here are the remains of his funeral pyre. Note that he seems to have some loyal followers who left these flowers on his grave.
[Image: P5110062.jpg]

Temple of Julius Caesar. Julius Caesar's body was burned on this spot after his assassination. The funeral was held here, facing the main square. Augustus dedicated this temple in Julius' name making Caesar the first Roman to become a god.

[Image: julius2.jpg]

Here at the entrance to Pompey's Theater, a mile to the west of the Roman Forum, is where Julius Caesar was murdered on the Ides of March.
[/b]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I recall reading while marching through Rome from one spot to the next how the ashes of Caesar were collected and placed in some urn and set on top of this Obelysc at Piazza Navona (which was a Circus at that time).

[Image: P2231901.jpg]
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
I was in Rome one Ides of March so went down to the forum to see if anything was going on. A lot. A re-enactment of the assassination; Shakespeare's funeral speech in English and Italian, flowers on the lump of concrete that is the temple of Divus Julius as in Comerus' photo.
The meaning of the flowers was obvious; for the rest, it was unclear whether Rome was celebrating a dictator, or his assassination.
Sorry for my late answer, i was away from my computer.

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this topic.
ERWAN
I think you struck a nerve, Erwan -- everybody here has great memories of Rome and wants to go back!

By the way I think the sense of "neater" in the earlier response was "cooler and more interesting", as opposed to "tidier".

As another comment, I haven't eaten at a Chinese restaurant in Rome, but Iduring my last visit one morning we chanced across the the happy occasion of a Wedding party a Chinese-Italian couple having pictures taken on the Spanish Steps. As an American, it was most unusual to see a crowd of 30 or 40 Chinese people, all chattering away in Italian!

rkmvca/rich klein

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Visiting Rome? Virilis 2 870 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Virilis