Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did authentic sword belts look like?
Quote:
Tarbicus:k5itu6bc Wrote:Other things I would add are that the belt should be stitched at the edges to stop it from stretching.

How do you mean this Jim? Do you think a balteus with a apron should also be stiched? Even if you use a single piece of leather for the belt? You should use very fine thread correct? Otherwise it will be difficult to fit the beltplates over the stiches...

Regards,

I have two Republican/Augustan belts with stitching and the plates fit fine.

An apron strap was found at Mainz with stitching holes all the way down on either side (Ludwig Lindenschmit, 'in dem romischen Pfahlbau am Dimiser Ort bei Mainz') and the studs and terminal still attached.

The early imperial "apron", Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies 3, 1992, 81-104.

Stitching stops the leather from stretching, which becomes more important once you add metal objects to it all along its length increasing its weight. Surviving horse harness also had stitching.

Mike Bishop was good enough to post a link to the above article online:
[url:k5itu6bc]http://www.jrmes.org.uk/vol03.htm[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Very interesting, thanks!

So apron straps were (could be) stitched too. Does the original report say anything about the dimensions of the holes? Was very fine thread used or fairly thick thread? Going from the drawing in the JRMES article I'd say it was very fine.

Also, a bit off topic: did they say anything about the colour of the apron strap in the original report?

Or did you not have the chance to see the original report?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Sorry Jef, I've no idea about the spacing, nor have I seen the original report.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I will see if I can find it...

Cheers,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Perhaps the lines that run parralel with the edges of this apron strap are stiching lines...

Camomile Street soldier:

[Image: cam03.jpg]

What do you think?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be