Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
late Roman Dished Shields
What advantages does having a dished shape give you over a flat one ?

cheers guys

ps I did look but couldn't find any threds on this; :roll:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Weapon deflection. A dished shield is more likely to deflect weapons better than a flat-faced shield.
But it is easier to make large shield walls or fulca with flat ones, they also overlap better, IMHO.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
A dish shaped shield has incredible strength. I could drive my car over mine.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Sure, hard to crash. Anyway, using a dish shaped shield like an offensive weapon it's more difficult.
While doing it by a flat one can hurt seriously the face and the neck of the enemy before you.

Valete,
Titus
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:Sure, hard to crash. Anyway, using a dish shaped shield like an offensive weapon it's more difficult.
While doing it by a flat one can hurt seriously the face and the neck of the enemy before you.

Surely a legionary could wield a "heavy" scutum like it was a piece of board, given their constant training and usage, in a way which any practising modern counterpart would find difficult to do. We must be wary of associating modern physical capabilities of re-enactors, or even military professionals, with the ancients who had completely different daily lives and lifestyles compared to any of us right through their upbringing. I suspect an auxiliary of 2000 years ago would scoff at the abilities of even a modern Special Forces or SAS guy, especially a Batavian :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's just a shape problem: 2000 years ago training and strengtht are different, of course Smile , but in combat if you try to hit with the edge of your shield faces to hurt or uncover the body of the adversary, a flat shield is much better. I've tried both the shields in a lot of full contact "mock" combats (with plastic swords) and it'so for me. Better also for the overlapping in a shields wall as Faventianus says.

Vale,
Titus
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Dished shields were not extremely dished. the advantage of strength remains, but actually the difference with flat shields where overlapping and hitting with rims are concerned, are not that big.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Even if a flat shield actually were better than a dished one: Archaeological evidence strongly supports the theory that most shields were dished.
(e.g. in Illerup more than 98% of the findings, the three shields from Egypt discussed by Goethert etc. p.p.)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
http://www.illerup.dk/custom/illerup_la ... ension=jpg
http://www.illerup.dk/custom/illerup_la ... ension=jpg
http://membres.lycos.fr/bronzeage/iron_age/image3.htm
http://membres.lycos.fr/bronzeage/iron_age/image27.htm

Wouldn't the rim have been extremely irregular if originally dished?

This is not an anti-dished shields post :wink:
Quoting Robert Vermaat: "when in time and with enough skills available, dished shields would have been made and used, but when in times of crisis, hurry, and desperation flat shields would have been the simplest, fastest and easiest option to make."
Ivan Perelló
Quote:Wouldn't the rim have been extremely irregular if originally dished?
No not if the shield would have been raised at the centre for between 5 and 8 cm. In this context it is more sensible to not look at shield boards preserved in a humid environment. Rather look at the shield bosses.

Quote:Quoting Robert Vermaat: "when in time and with enough skills available, dished shields would have been made and used, but when in times of crisis, hurry, and desperation flat shields would have been the simplest, fastest and easiest option to make."

I disagree: The shields were constructed of planks. These had to be individually sawn and plained. For the craftsman it makes basically no difference to make a slightly different form, it needs not more time, but gives a greater advantage to the user. Try it out.
Christian K.

Quote:I disagree: The shields were constructed of planks. These had to be individually sawn and plained. For the craftsman it makes basically no difference to make a slightly different form, it needs not more time, but gives a greater advantage to the user. Try it out.

So, why were flat shields made then? And the early imperial auxiliary ones?
Ivan Perelló
In my opinion it is very difficult to say whether early imperial auxiliary shields were flat in fact, or not slightly dished. One might want to look at the shield bosses to find that out.

- La-Tène shields were commonly flat, I read and heard, so the auxiliary
shields might stand in that tradition, if "celtic" units are concerned.

- It might be because the "technology" was not known everywhere, just
keep in mind how long it took in the middle ages for an advanced
version of a plow to travel across Europe.

- As far as Late Antiquity is concerned: IMHO the evidence for flat shields
is very scarce. This evidence usually comes along with the rather
precious type of shield boss, and precious shield decoration. So these
items were perhaps not intended to be functional shields (in a military
sense), but rather items of prestige.

- Junkelmann states somewhere that flat shields are much better to
handle on horseback. Something to think about.
Christian K.

Quote:
Quote:Quoting Robert Vermaat: "when in time and with enough skills available, dished shields would have been made and used, but when in times of crisis, hurry, and desperation flat shields would have been the simplest, fastest and easiest option to make."
I disagree: The shields were constructed of planks. These had to be individually sawn and plained. For the craftsman it makes basically no difference to make a slightly different form, it needs not more time, but gives a greater advantage to the user. Try it out.

I meant times of crisis when you´d have almost no time at all. I don´t know how much time it takes to make planks dished, or a plank shield dished, but I guess more than a day. Am I wrong?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:- Junkelmann states somewhere that flat shields are much better to
handle on horseback. Something to think about.
interesting...
Ivan Perelló

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman round shields/axes Macharivs 7 3,017 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Cavok
  ROMAN DISHED SHIELDS jho 8 2,304 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Medicus matt
  Late Shields...Plank or Ply? falco 6 1,878 04-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Last Post: falco