Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jeweled Berkasovo helmet
[Image: e09e.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:The cheekpieces of my helmet are made from mild steel. I just bent them against a corner of a chair ....

Very nice helmet, Virilis. Mild steel, you said. Mine is brass but it might be of a heavier gauge. I'll give it a try. As long as your method works who cares how it's done :wink:

Faventianvs, thanks for your photo as well !

Laudes points to both of you ! Big Grin

Theo
Jaime
Would there be anything wrong with silvering my Berkasavo ? I wouldn't really use silver, but I may have something that's rather convincingly silver in appearance.

Any opinions ?

Was the original Berkasavo (I) found to be silvered ? Were there any trace elements ?

Theo
Jaime
Silvered no, but coated with a very thin layer of silver material, yes. Every part was wrapped in this layer before assembly.

So silvering the Berkasovo would be acceptable, yes. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Heh, wow :lol:

The whole thing, Valerius ? I see your Silver Berkasavo award beneath your avatar isn't completely covered in that "silver material" - like the nose piece and ridge. Should I imitate that graphic or go for "silvering" the whole thing ?
Jaime
Well, since you are referring to the Berkasovo I you should guild it, not silver it!! :twisted:

But yes, silvering the whole thing would be the best option.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Well, since you are referring to the Berkasovo I you should guild it, not silver it!!

Hmm....I don't understand the distinction. Is it a matter of using a different process to achieve the same look ? Or does guilding produce a different appearence ?

Quote:But yes, silvering the whole thing would be the best option.

Will do. That makes it easier and less messy :wink:
Jaime
Quote:
Vortigern:1l1jxnoc Wrote:Well, since you are referring to the Berkasovo I you should guild it, not silver it!!
Hmm....I don't understand the distinction. Is it a matter of using a different process to achieve the same look ? Or does guilding produce a different appearence ?

Maybe I used the wrong word: gold plate was used on the Berkasovo I, not silver:
[Image: helmet26yu.th.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Faventianvs, thanks for your photo as well !

Laudes points to both of you ! Big Grin

Theo
U R welcome! :wink: Laus 2 U 2.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
By Jupiter, you late period Romans do love your bling...no wonder the empire fell :lol:
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Quote:By Jupiter, you late period Romans do love your bling...no wonder the empire fell :lol:
Better a bit of bling on your head than those Greek plumes you had in grandpa's time.. :twisted:

Hmm.. a Berkasovo helmet with a christa.. hmmm. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Hmm.. a Berkasovo helmet with a christa.. hmmm.

Oh, it should be a beauty!

[Image: crestedValerius.jpg]

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Wow, Daniele, thanks!

I thought of it but I had Photoshop troubles... :evil:

I think the Budapest helmet had small buckles to hold a crista - would that be a better helmet for Deepeeka? I mean, evidently the Berkasovo I is very costly with its elaborate crest. The Bupapest is also jewelled helmet and Deepeeka already make crests..

[Image: Budapest-copia.jpg]

see this recent discussion about Late Roman helmet crests

as well as this discussion about Late Roman crested helmets
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Nerva:3ab8xl4q Wrote:By Jupiter, you late period Romans do love your bling...no wonder the empire fell :lol:
Better a bit of bling on your head than those Greek plumes you had in grandpa's time.. :twisted:

Hmm.. a Berkasovo helmet with a christa.. hmmm. :wink:

And what exactly is the matter with Greek plumes, young man? :evil: Confusedhock: You should consider it an honor to be permitted to decorate your equipment with such prestigious and honorable symbols of military prowess....... :? roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I think the Budapest helmet had small buckles to hold a crista - would that be a better helmet for Deepeeka? I mean, evidently the Berkasovo I is very costly with its elaborate crest. The Bupapest is also jewelled helmet and Deepeeka already make crests..

You're welcome! That's exactly what I think too, actually I wanted to Photoshop the Budapest one for it has those buckles, but in my pic the feathers were on a side view... and I've not side views of that helmet Sad

Yes, getting more variants of the late stuff could be absolutely great... I cannot understand why Deepeeka does not sell kits of Helmets... :?:
Buying all the parts or just some parts of the helmets, anyone could complete easily them at home without a laboratory (I live in apartment and I've no place to work at the equipment) and fix any mistake according to his own studies too...

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]