Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jeweled Berkasovo helmet
Which colors did the colored glass have in the original berkasovo helmet?

In pictures I see it having black and white stones/glass.
But with reproductions and painted drawings I see the berkasovo helmet having red and green colored glass.

I don't know if the color has faded or something that due to it's age... anyway it kinda confuses me. Perhaps somebody can explain?

Thanks Smile

front side original:
[Image: helmet26yu.th.jpg]

back side original (left one Wink ):
[Image: berkasovo0tn.th.jpg]

replica:
[Image: 111PDHL169A.jpg]
Thijs Koelewijn
I'll look it up shortly.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ok, here it is:

The stones, glass imitations of jewels represent 3 precious stones: emerald (green), onyx (with violet and white flames) and chalzedon (?) (dark blue with a black rim).

Quote from: Klumbach, Hans (ed.) (1973): Spätrömische Gardehelme, Münchener Beiträge zur Vor- und Frühgeschichte 15, (München), p. 19.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I've always asked myself what is the writing in greek on the side of the helmet and what it means... Unfortunately I don't know the ancient greek...
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Would that be the translation?

"DIZZON WEAR IN HEALTH - WORK OF AVITUS"
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Thanks a lot!
Is it too much If I ask for the exact greek writing too? I'd like to make a replica in fututre and I cannot read from the photos I have... Smile
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

That i don't have. I'm not that sure I have the right translation. But if you want to be sure ask Vortigern here on the forum. I found him somewhere on an other forum talking about this helmet.

http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkf ... 21&stop=40
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:I found him somewhere on an other forum talking about this helmet.
It's not another forum. It's RAT 'v.1' :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ahh the V.1... When the Ratters were young bad and grunting, on a black/red field Big Grin
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

On the original helmet it looks like the cheek pieces are curved, but I'm not certain.

Has anyone seen it from a front angle ?

If they are curved, I'd like to try to curve the ones on mine to match.

Theo
Jaime
Quote:On the original helmet it looks like the cheek pieces are curved, but I'm not certain.
Hi Jaime,
Yes, they're curved allright. No, I can't show you, I'm still in the process of getting my imagebase back... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Yes, they're curved allright. No, I can't show you, I'm still in the process of getting my imagebase back...

Thanks, Valerius. That's ok, I just wanted to know if they were curved. Now if I can get mines to do the same my helmet won't look so long (I think). Seems quite a challenge to bend them since they're so large :? )

Theo
Jaime
Theo, does this picture help you?
I have also bent my Burgh Castle helmets cheekpieces so they would be more convex. The problem is that without forging the cheekpieces tend to bounce back a bit...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Virilis, that photo sure does help ! Thank you Big Grin

May I ask how you bent your cheek pieces to make them more convex ?

Theo
Jaime
The cheekpieces of my helmet are made from mild steel. I just bent them against a corner of a chair :oops: ....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]