Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Group in Athens
Chairete one and all,

I’m sorry that I was not very active lately, work and all that. I was wondering though, I’ve seen quite a few people lately from Athens participating in the forum.

I was wondering, how about us meeting all together sometime soon, if that is possible.
I’ll also propose an agenda.
- How about creating a re-enactment group? Nothing formal at first.
- Period of interest?
Any other ideas?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Greetings countryman!

You mean, a group/fellowship about Ancient Hellas, History and such?

Not but idea!

About period of interest, I LOVE the real-real Ancient Times (Mycenaean Culture, Age of Bronze, etc.), I LOVE the Classic Age ("Medika", "Peloponnesian War") and I LOVE also Phillip II & Alexander The GREAT's time...

I HATE Byzantine Times, totaly! (I was a superb student in History class, TILL we started study Byzantium! Then, I lost my good grade!)

It would be nice, to meeting in a nice & quite coffe-house and speaking about the subject we love...

Anyway... If there is a good response, I'm in...

Cheers...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Actually, I was thinking something more like a core for a re-enactment group. Discussions and all of course are included but at first I would give more emphasis on kit construction/ creation and all that.

Quote:About period of interest, I LOVE the real-real Ancient Times (Mycenaean Culture, Age of Bronze, etc.), I LOVE the Classic Age ("Medika", "Peloponnesian War") and I LOVE also Phillip II & Alexander The GREAT's time...

About classic times I would agree. Especially Peloponnesian wars, the possibilities are endless!!!!!!!
We can re-create a band of mercenaries cut-throats from all over Greece.
How about that?

What say you? (Ah… I always wanted to say that, Aragorn fixation and all) Tongue
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Actually, I was thinking something more like a core for a re-enactment group. Discussions and all of course are included but at first I would give more emphasis on kit construction/ creation and all that.

lupus:2vgoy4pm Wrote:About period of interest, I LOVE the real-real Ancient Times (Mycenaean Culture, Age of Bronze, etc.), I LOVE the Classic Age ("Medika", "Peloponnesian War") and I LOVE also Phillip II & Alexander The GREAT's time...

About classic times I would agree. Especially Peloponnesian wars, the possibilities are endless!!!!!!!
We can re-create a band of mercenaries cut-throats from all over Greece.
How about that?

What say you? (Ah… I always wanted to say that, Aragorn fixation and all) Tongue

With THESE SALARIES, here in Hellas????

Are you kidding? A simple "crappy"... replica of a sword, costs a common salary my friend!
Don't take as examples, our dear British fellows' outfit. In England, a friend of mine, also an illustrator like me (but younger and with less experiance), makes 3 TIMES MORE of my salary!

I don't know, friend... Like I wrote in another threat, I want SO MUCH of having a FULL Spartan "outfit"... But, it's a dream... Specially in my case, a fresh-married guy, with TONES of financial issues to solve...

But, you never know...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
Let me put it this way kalyste.....

η υσχης εν την ενωση.

Also as an american colleague of mine is so fond of saying "Baby steps".
Let’s start by counting heads, then what each and all of us can do and will take it slowly – slowly from there, Rome was not build in a day and neither can a re-enactment group.

Also, Swords and armour, are something far more easily appropriated by a group than by an individual. We can get better prices for one, and directly from the source and not from any “Grab what you can” Shopkeeper :evil: .
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
spyros\\n[quote]Let me put it this way kalyste.....

η υσχης εν την ενωση.

Also as an american colleague of mine is so fond of saying "Baby steps".
Let’s start by counting heads, then what each and all of us can do and will take it slowly – slowly from there, Rome was not build in a day and neither can a re-enactment group.

Also, Swords and armour, are something far more easily appropriated by a group than by an individual. We can get better prices for one, and directly from the source and not from any “Grab what you canâ€
aka Romilos

"
Well if it consoles you I’m in the same boat. But this is a hobby not a full 5 to 9 job. Pleasure and leisure is the goal. Of course if someone knows a useful trade, like shield making why not to use it to earn a Mna (Euro)?

So come all lazy Athenians! Let’s set a meeting in the Agora, watered wine on the house.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:So come all lazy Athenians! Let’s set a meeting in the Agora

You mean, in the area near the Acropolis, where the... Muslem Mosque will build? :lol:
aka Romilos

"
Well why not? Dioskouri or somewhere else in that area.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Well why not? Dioskouri or somewhere else in that area.

Yea, but is SO "IRONIC", having a Muslem Mosque EXACTLY BELLOW Acropolis, while SO MANY Ancient foundings are destroyed each day!

Also... it's SO... "Artistic", to build this UNBELIEVABLE "KITSCH" modern glass/metalic buliding, for... Acropolis' museum!
aka Romilos

"
In the same sense it is ironic to have all these Christian churches around Acropolis. But I do not think that the government will give permission for a mosque there, although it is true that Athens need a mosque and somewhere in the centre were most of the Muslim community lives.

As for the Acropolis museum, I don’t have any opinion on that beside that we need it. I will wait until it’s finished.

But I think Oh Lyke that we drift of topic :wink: .
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Yea... we went a bit "off-topic"... Sorry.
aka Romilos

"
Quote:Like I wrote in another threat, I want SO MUCH of having a FULL Spartan "outfit"...
:lol: :lol:
Another whose mispelling gives amusement....!
The Hoplites Mores have said it is difficult to find decent Hoplite equipment in Greece...!!
Some of those are in the Athens area too, I think, and may be interested.....Stefanos will probably know.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Well not difficult, rather, too expencive. Still, I think that if there is enough interest, and we put our heads together than we will have beter results than individuals stragling alone.

Think of it like a phalanx.

So, who will answer the call?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:
lupus:1ut5df9r Wrote:Like I wrote in another threat, I want SO MUCH of having a FULL Spartan "outfit"...
:lol: :lol:
Another whose mispelling gives amusement....!
The Hoplites Mores have said it is difficult to find decent Hoplite equipment in Greece...!!
Some of those are in the Athens area too, I think, and may be interested.....Stefanos will probably know.
regards
Arthes

Oups! I've "mess-up" my English again! Sorry my lady... Is been a while (13 years!), when I was interpreter durring my military service... Sorry for my poor English (I could use some... Irish, though! :lol: )

And yes, indeed! I never was able to find decent Hoplite equipment here, in Athens...
Sad, isn't it?

Regards.
aka Romilos

"