Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about RLQM...
A lot of people told me to go to Sean at RLQM because he does some of the best hand forged pila available. I sent an order form and a money order almost three months ago and have yet to recieve my item, nor have I had any of my countless emails returned. I tried calling the number he lists on his site at rlqm.com several times and no return to my calls. Is something going on? Is he not in the business anymore? I'm beginning to think the worst...does anyone know?
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
His shop was broken into a short while ago and a lot of equipment stolen.

link from old RAT[/quote]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I emailed RLQM some times in the past and never got a response from them...

By the way for MUCH better handforged pila (and at the same price) ask Matt Lukes.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I appreciate it and I'll def look into that, thanks.
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Many thanks for the compliment Jef Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I'm not the author - I'm posting for Hib, as he is still having issues logging on to RAT

Scithius

Original message follows
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gentlemen

As many of you know our commercial production workshop was broken into some several weeks ago

Equipment stolen etc etc.. in addition we subsequently lost several craftsmen due to lack of work.. the shop does other kinds of metal fabrication.. (trailers, wrought iron fencing, candelabras, patio furniture etc etc) I've been at it to train new guys to do the work I need.. that has meant 2 - 4 driving trips per week to Mexico... (about a three hour round trip plus time at the workshop) AND I have been doing a great deal of the work myself... catching up has been a hellacious-biatch...

We did misplace some orders, (stolen computers) but I thought that I had recovered all of them. If you haven't heard from me please email or call.. 619.563.5200

Anyone with a remaining pilum kit back order will get or already has received two.

Those waiting for segmentatas have already been compensated or will be when their armor arrives.

QUALITY and COMPLAINTS
- I've had one complaint about a broken pilum tip and it was about an old piece... maybe 7 years old?
- Another customer wanted thinner wood shafts.
- One customer preferred steel instead of copper alloy but spike.... all butt spikes and colletes are now steel

One EXPERT asked that I avoid using copper alloy rivets for the tang .. some kits went out with brass most have steel.. the copper alloy rivets were hand made.

Another EXPERT preferred a longer wood shaft.. this is always an option

Some customers have asked for longer, shorter, wider, narrower tangs, and / or pyramidal heads.... no problem, no extra charge

I've even replaced some of the very old style RLQM pilums, those with wood pegs instead of rivets and that offer still stands.... no charge... One competitor still has one of these on his web page for comparison... go figure

PRICING CLARIFICATION
My PILUM KITS sell for $70. I believe that Mall Lukes' are $120. He makes a quality product.. round shaft, mine are square.. you want round? The price is still $70.

You can get even 4 kits from RLQM for $250

The metal bits sell for 19.95 (collete, rivets, spike, roves, wedges)
OR
...you can buy all the metal for just $39.95 (above plus metal shaft)

AND my prices include shipping.....

I hope this clears a few things up

Sean Richards
RLQM
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Well mine aren't just round Sean- they're proper replicas of real pila from Vindonissa, Oberaden, Valencia, and other sites, in size, shape, etc. I'm impressed you can make yours for so little- given the materials, etc. if I charged only $70 including shipping, I'd make something like $5/ hour :lol:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I'm back on.. thanks Jasper

Thanks to Scithius for posting the previous reply

My apologies Matt for misrepresenting your work

TIME
I've made so many pila and the guy I taught has become so good (faster and better than me!) that the amount of time necessary to shape a pilum has been greatly reduced.

Salvete

Sean / Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
MARCUS MUMMIUS

Send me your address and I'll send you a pilum kit

[email protected]
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You didn't misrepresent it Sean- you rather did qualify your statement by complimenting me, however I'd be happier if we kept to only pointing out the merits of our own stuff rather than comparing it to that of others.
Salve Hibernicus,

Thanks for the offer!

I send you an email and a PM.

Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I'm looking at being back on proper schedule with segmentatas by August 1

What do you guys think of sending sample pieces on request?

A couple of sample plates with an attached lobate hinge, one plate tinned, one plain, rolled edge.. that sort of thing?

If you're going to spend that kind of money...

Let me knwow what you think..
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA