Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman female fashions
J'ai les trouvé! Er, sorry, I did find them... :wink:

They are called "babouches" and are completely made from leather (should be...)
[Image: presentation.gif]
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Thanks!!!!!!

Yes before I'm going to Archeon, I looked in the Moroccan shops , but I did not see anything that was coming closer...
I have the idea of shoes of s. V, as a few closed boots and with a bit of beak at the end of them. Not as the Moroccans, not so exaggerate...
I think, with a lot of little pearls, like other shoes of 6th century...
I asked if someone could have realized a reply, i think it's so difficult...
but I'm very happy for make this fabulous project!!! Tongue shock: :lol:
Carme
[url:utwukq64]http://www.primagermanica.com[/url]
[Image: vexilium.jpg]
But Barabara, you can tell me something to this:
Now I am employed in the "handkerchiefs" that cover the headof the ladies of the court, someone would be able say to me exactly that they go in the head? Materials, bosses of clothes... etc

You know the differences? I suppose, that the first one is for the religious acts, and second option is the correct, but I'm not very sure that how is the correct position and materials of the handkerchiefs. Are they two handkerchiefs? I think with pearls and precious stones....
Carme
Sory, Galla, I did not think about it yet, and I still have no ides how they where made.

What I know is that some women do wear a rectangular veil, fixed on the middle of their head, made of verry thin and soft materials, you can even look through it. I ony know about white ones right now. That's mostly seen in a chistian context, shown in the catacombes of rome.

The other ones...er.... sorry, no idea. Have you already looked at medieval clothing? I think they still are there in later centuries.
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Ave,Barbara,
Very nice.You've really done your homework.
Could you give any recommendations for a mid-
1st c. woman of German origin married to a
Roman soldier? Would her clothing be any different from
any other Roman woman due to her heritage?
Thanks.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Well, to say something about this needs to look at the background.

How wealthy is the woman?

Is she proud of her germanic origin and wants to show it to all the others? (Normally she would be proud to be more roman and would try to look as roman as she could!)

And: are you allowed to marry, btw? :wink:
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Barbara wrote:

Quote:Is she proud of her Germanic origin and wants to show it to all the others? (Normally she would be proud to be more roman and would try to look as roman as she could!)

Not always Barbara. There are tombstones which show the male adopting the Roman toga but the female retaining traditional dress. This happens in many societies and can even be seen today amongst many Arabs with the men in Western dress, suits and ties but the women wearing traditional styles.

Traditional Iron Age styles may have been retained for cultural or religious reasons but they were also far more practical for the Northern climate than the Italian fashions. Eventually it was the Northern styles which dominated and eventually Germanic dress along with Eastern influences which replaced Italian dress as the mainstream fashion of the Empire.

P.S Have you read the articles by J.P.Wild on clothing in the North West Provinces? One is published in Bonner Jarbucher.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Yes, but also will imply the economic condition, I think..... She preserves the traditional dress, but I think that this is important....... :?: :roll:
Carme
Don't worry, but I've deleted my big entries. The first thing is that there could be problems with the scanned pictures - and without pictures understanding the posts would be difficult. The other thing is that it may be that this theme may become important in my unversity researches.

If there are any questions on late roman female clothing, you can ask me per PM any time and anything, I'll try to answer as good as I know. I just want to reduce it to a more personal layer than this official and very public one.

So have a good time,
We'll see here or somewhere else! 8)
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fashions in Emesa and the East Lord Hobbers 5 3,522 12-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Lord Hobbers
  Urgent question: female surgeons in the Roman period? Marcus Mummius 13 3,110 03-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Martin Moser