Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Would You Reconstruct This 4th Century Ration-Bag?
Mithraic scholars Vermaseren and Van Essen described the appearance of a temple initiate depicted on poorly preserved wall paintings discovered at the church of Santa Prisca, in Rome. The only published photograph attests to a painting in a terrible condition, and the Italian authorities will not issue visitors' permits to view the temple. The two scholars, however, described the soldier-initiate in detail, wearing a long-sleeved bright brown tunic with two rows of purple piping at the wrists, plus a red-brown cloak. On his left shoulder is a military bag (sarcina) "which he holds at its round buttoned-up end with his left hand." The 'round end' of this military pack fits the slight illustration we have from the Ostia mosaic.

Here is the Ostia picture of the 'soldier' rank, with helmet, spear and marching pack: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... eum_06.jpg

Not much to go on, I know, but in the 4thC - you use what evidence you have ...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
My initial thought would be that it's something like a duffel or sea bag- i.e. with a flat bottom, in this case circular. See below.

That's what I get from the mosaic too- albeit it's very simple and stylized. It'd be a simple piece to make- a round bottom, rectangular body, one seam up the side and then the lower edge sewn to the perimeter of the bottom. Then button as you see fit at the top- I drew a drawstring, but it's just a sketch Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Whoops, I mis-read the quote- the round end IS the buttoned-up end... :oops:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Here is the Ostia picture of the 'soldier' rank, with helmet, spear and marching pack: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... eum_06.jpg

To me it looks more like a leg of pork, with the trotter still attached. :?
Good point- it does indeed. Only thing is that a leg of pork would be somewhat out of place with a helmet and a spear, yes? Unless it was a particularly good ration day :wink:
Matt, thanks for knocking up that sketch! That is what I had in mind, but the quote describing the Santa Prisca bag is baffling, surely buttons at the top?

Scholars are fairly sure that this is a pack or bag, because I think there are other references to the emblems of this grade.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Just like on modern duffel bags, a number of eyelets around the open end of the bag that fold it closed as they attach to a single fastener, in this case a button, could be just fine.
Graham Sumner suggested I post this link which was on the 1st C hats thread (only just saw Graham's suggestion):

Imperial Palace, Istanbul, Turkey
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
You beauty!!! Big Grin D

That is fantastic .... I love this forum. The resource sharing is wonderful.

Thank you Graham! Thank you Tarbicus!

I don't even need to reconstruct this - I can use my son's school PE bag :wink:
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Quote:I don't even need to reconstruct this - I can use my son's school PE bag

What's the poor lad gonna take his plimmies to school in now ??? :?