Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Scorpion Bolt Shooter
Ave,

I am trying to build a Large Scorpion Bolt shooter for the use of my Reenactment group. I have spoken to Len Morgan over in England about blue prints, but I need to get them from Alan Wilkins. I have read Alan Wilkins book on Roman Artillery, but have been unable to get in contact with him (due to the fact that he is on tour right now). Does anyone know where I might find some blue prints for the bolt shooter (my engineering skills are not up to par for this task)?
"I fear no enemy for the Legion is my strength. I fear not death for my strength is eternal."

Ben Geraci
contact Legio XXIV. i think george metz can help you
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Tiberius:
Hi. Good luck. I built my own Scorpio Maior. I am quite proud of my accomplishment. I find its bigest drawback is that it can be extremely dangerous. It is hard to show unless you have a lot of room. I often shoot bolts through a 45 gallon drum!

I would suggest that you start with Vitruvius. Although there are many problems with his text, he is still the best source. For the proportions and construction of the Capitulum, we are fortunate to have the cremona battle shield, the ampurias frame, and the caminreal frame. I followed the Caminreal frame. Thanks to Aitor for sendidng me a copy of "Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies 8 1997". This gives you all of the exact measurements for the plating. Aitor is a great resource. The trigger mechanism can be taken from Heron. The rest of it is quite straight forward. A lot of work, though.

A few areas of difficulty. Building the washers. Money helps here. They are quite straight forward, but not the easiest things to replicate with few tools. Search the web for all of the archaeological finds here. The bow arms. Making the curved arms was quite the chore. I built a frame, which I kept, and laminated wood to the right thickness. The winch mechanism. There are a number of interpretations of this. With no archaeological evidence, it is hard to be 100% historic.

Once again. Good luck. There are a lot of people on this forum who can offer advice.

If you want, send me your email address and I can send a picture of my scorpio maior.

Kevin.
i got blueprints for my "combatapulta" from knights armoury.
http://198.144.2.125/
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:I built my own Scorpio Maior.
Can you post a picture, kevin?
** Vincula/Lucy **
Vincula:
Yes. I will post a picture. It will take me a bit of time. I had some on my computer, but I just switched computers and can not find the files! So I have to borrow a digital camera. As soon as I can, I will post a picture ot two.

Kevin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ballista bolt MDF 14 4,806 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Last Post: MDF