Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legion is out for PC...Anyone try it yet?
Funny you should mention it. This site has deep roots in Shogun Total War. Jenny was part of a Shogun forum at www.totalwar.org and she recruited many of the first patrons here from that site. Catiline and myself included. Cat does double duty moderator wise here and there as I used to do before I retired here.<br>
<br>
Rome Total War would indeed be my dream as well. Oh well we can always pray... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=shiro>Shiro</A> at: 8/31/02 7:37:12 pm<br></i>
Just wondering if anyone has played that PC game Legion that came out. I won't pay the $70 bucks for a game that will be $30 bucks in a year. Anyone? <p>"Remember, pillage first....then burn."</p><i></i>
I picked it up last weekend on the recommendation of my brother who also has it. I like it because it is more military oriented than Caesar II or III, both of which were ancient sim city games with a little tactical and operational combat thrown in. Legion gives you the chance to campaign for the conquest of either Britain, Gaul or Italy. It has a variety of enemies to go up against (no Parthians or Germans in this version though). It has historical scenarios and non-historical scenarios. As i said it is more military oriented. You don't spend a lot of time on cities (though they are necessary to recruit armies), don't get me wrong it's all about who has the most cities, but the game is battle oriented. Your troops become more effective with experience and battle hardened veteran cohorts with half a dozen battles under their belts are nearly invincible. It is easier to play, in my opinion, than the Great Battles in History (Caesar, Alexander, Hannibal) series.<br>
<br>
I usually wait for computer games to go down in price also but went ahead and got this one near its release date. I highly recommend it. Hopefully a future version will have Parthians, Germans and 4th century foes. <p></p><i></i>
...to add that I picked mine up for $44.90 (U.S.)at Electronic Boutique. <p></p><i></i>
I still might wait for a bit. Hopefully when and if the expansion comes out, that will bring the price down. But I am looking forward to playing it. I was playing Civilization 3 for a bit, but FAR too much city sim for my taste, not enough combat. Plus there was too much to learn. <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
A couple drawbacks...the interface isn't the greatest in the world...it takes a bit of getting used to...also, there is no support for multiplayer in this version and finally, no artillery support..., hopefully in the future the last two aspects will be addressed.<br>
<p>Marcus Bruttius Romulus<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio III Augusta</p><i></i>
Yeah, its a nice little game but gets a little repedative after awhile. I don't think you should spend more that $40 USD on it if you don't have to. Wait until it hits the bargin bins.<br>
<br>
On another not..I just purchased "Medieval:Total War" for PC. All the action takes place after the fall of the Empire (of course) but its nice. You can choose to play 1 of 12 of the major European powers of the time 1000 - 1400 AD (Approximately). The Strategic part of the game allows you to improve your provices, appoint Generals, Grant titles and noble patents, tax your citizens, and build armies, spies, emissaries, priests, assasins and also manage diplomacy.<br>
<br>
When you engage in battle, the game shifts to a tactical mode, where you see your entire army on the field. You control their formations and placement. In my opinoin this is the best part of the game. If you have 1000 soldiers you will see all of them..even after they are slain, they remain on the battlefield to remind you of the hard-fought battles.<br>
<br>
This game is the second Total War game, with Shogun being the first. It was set in Feudal Japan. Now I just want them to make "Rome:Total War" so I can get an idea of what a fullsize Legion must have been like to command. <p><embed name="mikesbanner" src="http://www.alliedrangers.com/images/mikesig.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000"
width="297" height="62"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">
</embed></p><i></i>
Well, you're not likely to get an idea of that from a Total War game. <!-- <p>Strategy<br>
Designer/Developer<br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Hi Shiro! Yes, it was indeed the Sword Dojo at totalwar.org that gave me the idea to found a discussion board. I went searching for a free BB service, found ezboard, recruited my Romanophile friends from the Dojo (Shiro and Catiline) and the rest is...er... <em>history</em>. E EM Bad pun intended!<br>
<br>
Is the old Dojo still active?<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Rome totalwar is the next in the totalwar series checkout totalwar.org for details<br>
<br>
Never used this board b4 just found it on google while searching for details about Rome Totalwar<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
SwooooooooooooooooooooshOOOoooOoooowl<br>
<br>
<br>
Wolf clan Medieval totalwar<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=razorfury>RaZoRfury</A> at: 12/26/02 12:46:29 pm<br></i>
Hi, Shiro, Cat, RaZoR,<br>
<br>
searching for rome TW found this place,<br>
and yes, the Org is alive and well,<br>
<br>
changed message board - and changed to a medieval theme,<br>
but the sword dojo is still a part of the org<br>
<br>
<br>
Drop by some time<br>
www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/...nboard.cgi<br>
<br>
<strong>By The Way</strong><br>
just tried to go to romanarmy.com and was rudely informed that I am not authorised to view the site???<br>
(also added a link to this forum to the org's front page)<br>
<br>
Barocca<br>
<em>totalwar.org website admin</em><br>
<br>
<p> <br>
<span style="color:red;font-family:Arial;">If we must Die, Then we will Die with Honour! </span><span style="color:aqua;font-family:Arial;">DoragonBarocca War Master of Clan Doragon Clan Doragon Forum </span> </p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=barocca>barocca</A> at: 12/29/02 8:45:25 am<br></i>
and fresh at hand, <em>talk about a busy day</em><br>
<br>
we have a translation of a GameStar article in the Entrance Hall forum previewing Rome Total War!!<br>
GameStar is a German Language gaming magazine.<br>
<br>
CA staff know about the article and, as is their style, are refusing to confirm or deny the truth of the article,<br>
but the screenshots looks oh so Total War (army flags and such) that it definately seems real enough for me<br>
<br>
looks like it is the real deal folks<br>
<br>
<p> <br>
<span style="color:red;font-family:Arial;">If we must Die, Then we will Die with Honour! </span><span style="color:aqua;font-family:Arial;">DoragonBarocca War Master of Clan Doragon Clan Doragon Forum </span> </p><i></i>
Barroca its me swoosh This is my old clan name <p></p><i></i>
aaaaaaaaah - Swoosh,<br>
that explains why i haven't seen razorfury around for a bit...<br>
<br>
<br>
can anyone tell me whats up? please?<br>
just tried to go to romanarmy.com and was rudely informed that I am not authorised to view the site???<br>
<p> <br>
<span style="color:red;font-family:Arial;">If we must Die, Then we will Die with Honour! </span><span style="color:aqua;font-family:Arial;">DoragonBarocca War Master of Clan Doragon Clan Doragon Forum </span> </p><i></i>
Eeeh, nothing's up...<br>
That's the problem really. RA.com has been offline for reconstruction. And, we admit, it's taking too long. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine