Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History, archaeology, money, and politics
Often, I read news about ancient history or archaeology that clearly has a political undertone. For example, excavations on the Temple Mountain or Macedonia. Or this topic.

Or it is about money: much archaeological news is too spectacular to be true, and is clearly meant to raise attention and money. The excavators of KV-63 understand the ancient Egyptian proverb "Never seek publicity once if you can also announce the same results twice".

Sometimes, press releases are clearly meant to discredit people; some of you may have noticed how I was fooled by this news.

I think these subjects are important to discuss. Scholarship is never objective and we must be aware of bias; if we can discuss hidden agendas, we might be able to improve the quality of our knowledge and our understanding of the past.

I also think that RAT is a very serious community. We have once discussed the Macedonian question, and we all are still on speaking terms. So I propose that we open a subforum to debunk archaeological claims and to discuss biases. After all, we are grown up people.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:So I propose that we open a subforum to debunk archaeological claims and to discuss biases.

I understand the need for such a forum. I would not mind discussing issues on it, although my knowledge in these matters is not impressive. Big Grin

But I'm not sure it falls within the bounds of Roman Army Talk.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)