Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Greeks - Crucible of Civilisation website
This website is rather good.....
The Greeks
Chose from Flash or HTML versions
Run backwards and forwards through time for information on key dates in ancient Greek history or choose one of the key characters...In the Index can be found background pages full of interest...! Is that what Spartan soup looked like..... :?
This was also a television series..narrated by Liam Neeson.
I rather like the interactive keyboard teaching you the letters of the Greek alphabet...with the correct pronounciation, a pity the 'words' section isn't longer...!

An old man wandering around the Olympic Games looking for a seat was jeered at by the crowd until he reached the seats of the Spartans, whereupon every Spartan younger than him, and some that were older, stood up and offered him their seat. The crowd applauded and the old man turned to them with a sigh, saying "All Greeks know what is right, but only the Spartans do it."
I like that...!
(I must have some Spartan ideals in that case....lol)
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
thats a well designed site imo. Even now that its rather old, being built the right way makes it be still decent
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
The series was presented in State T.V. here in Greece.

If ypu exclude that they showed Kleisthenes, an Alkmeonid with a bull instead of the triskelon (sloppy research that is :twisted: :twisted: )
it was ok.
Kind regards
I just rented this show from my public library. They should have called it "The Athenians" rather than "The Greeks". Lot's of really important stuff was simply skipped over. There was nothing at all regarding any other city-state other than Athens. If their aim was to educate, they barely skimmed the surface. If their aim was to entertain, all the really fun and interesting stuff was left out too. How can you describe Xerxes invasion and not mention Thermopylae? Too culturally important to leave out in my opinion, not to mention entertaining!
Rich Marinaccio
Well the aim was to flatter a certain civic and civil way of life that was the foundation of out modern institutions.
Please do not ask me to elaborate because the subject must go to the off topic forum.

Kind regards
As you wish! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW CIVILISATION PROJECT Anonymous 2 1,019 09-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius