Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrorism lawsuit against Chicago Museum
Here is an article that was posted at Iranica-L. Unfortunately, this is not a joke. Of course, financing terrorism must not go unpunished, but this is insane.

=====

Persian treasure trove on the line at U. of C.
Suit over terrorism could force their sale

By Ron Grossman, Tribune staff reporter
Published June 28, 2006

A federal judge has rejected a key defense by the University of Chicago in a lawsuit over rights to ancient Persian artifacts, a decision bound to ripple through the American museum community.

The next step, according to the Rhode Island lawyer who sued the university and several renowned museums: Seize an invaluable collection at U. of C.'s Oriental Institute - thousands of clay fragments with cuneiform writing that came from Iran. Then auction off the pieces to compensate victims of Middle Eastern violence on the grounds that Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism.

The judge's decision comes as American museums are facing tough questions about how they acquired certain collections.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art recently agreed to return invaluable antiquities that Italian authorities said had been looted from that country. The J. Paul Getty Museum is negotiating a similar claim with Italy.

The judge's rebuke of U. of C. left several other lines of defense still to be heard. The case, which also involves the Field Museum, comes back to court for another hearing next month.

U. of C. had argued that it needed to protect Iran's rights to the property, even though Iran declined to come to court. The university said the Iranians were gun-shy because of bad experiences with the American legal system, a claim rejected by U.S. District Judge Blanche M. Manning in Chicago.

In a decision published Friday, Manning ruled the university's "brazen accusation that the courts of the United States are hostile to Iran and that, as a result, Iran should be excused from bothering to assert its rights, is wholly unsupported."

From the University of Chicago's perspective, this might be a case of injury about to be added to insult. David J. Strachman, attorney for the plaintiffs, said he will move to translate the judge's ruling into cash for his clients.

"Shortly, we are going to be asking for a judicial sale for the purpose of raising funds to satisfy the judgment," said Strachman.

In her ruling, Manning also took a poke at the U. S. government, which backed the university's side of the dispute. "The government relegates the [key] argument to a footnote," she wrote.

Charles Miller, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Justice, said, "We are reviewing the court's ruling."

In several recent cases involving U.S. citizens and foreign nations, the Department of Justice intervened and claimed the national interest is better served if such disputes are resolved through diplomatic negotiations rather than legal suit, an argument revived in the University of Chicago case.

"The government came into court crying the sky will fall if Iran has to satisfy this judgment," Strachman said. He said his clients were pleased by the judge's decision, which rejected that line of reasoning.

"They had been disheartened that the government defended Iran," Strachman said. "It was very upsetting to them, because they were doing what the Congress said they should be doing to help fight terrorism."

The Chicago case --formally titled Jenny Rubin, et al vs. the Islamic Republic of Iran, et al-- stems from a deadly bombing in Israel nearly nine years ago.

On Sept. 4, 1997, suicide bombers set off explosive devices in Ben Yehuda mall, a popular tourist destination in Jerusalem. Hamas claimed responsibility for the bloody attack, which killed five bystanders and left 192 people wounded.

Several of the survivors were American visitors who filed a federal lawsuit against Iran and Iranian officials. They claimed that Hamas was financed by Iran, making the country legally responsible for their suffering. Judge Ricardo M. Urbina agreed and noted that Iran has a ministry for terrorism and budgets "between $50 million and $100 million a year sponsoring various organizations such as Hamas."

When Iran didn't show up in court, the judge ruled for the plaintiffs by default, awarding them damages of $423.5 million. Though a victory for Strachman and his clients, that left him the task of collecting from Iran's assets in the U.S., among them the collection of Persian artifacts housed at the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute.

In response, the university invoked an ancient legal principle, known as sovereign immunity, which holds that governments can't be sued just like ordinary citizens. The university's lawyers argued that though Iran hadn't asserted that defense, it was doing it on Iran's behalf.

When a magistrate judge rejected that defense, the university appealed to Manning. But she agreed with the original finding.

Larry Arbieter, a University of Chicago spokesman, said that because the matter is still in court, the university declined to comment on the judge's ruling.

Joe Brennan, vice president and general counsel for the Field Museum, said that institution, though not directly affected by Friday's decision, disagreed with it. He looked upon the aftermath of the judge's ruling as an instance of living to fight another day.

"It was only one of several lines of defenses we've offered," he said. "There is another hearing coming up in July, and we're confident of winning."
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
If I were a foreign nation claiming some right over a collection or a single piece in another country, I would be very careful..

To me, this ruling is very similar to the nationalising of, e.g., an Oil Industry.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
At this moment, a petition is prepared to drop this suit. If you think that this case sets a dangerous precedent, because museum artifacts are the common property of humankind, you can sign it here.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:you can sign it here.
Too bad, it's members only... Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Fixed!
Jona Lendering
My website
Signed.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Signed

Edit: spelling errors and typos look very unprofessional.

"We know that a vast international fight is being wedged against terrorism"
Suggest changing "wedged" to "waged"

"and believe that every action capable of stopping stop it should be adopted"
Delete "stop"

I just had a look at some of the signitaures and recommend deleting all entries that don't involve the full names of individuals.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:I just had a look at some of the signitaures and recommend deleting all entries that don't involve the full names of individuals.
Yes, I have written something similar to the people who maintain that online website. It is too easy to write a petition online. Imagine what happens if a popular web journalist invites all his readers to sign the petition with "Donald Duck". I have seen how well-meaning attempts were ruined with tricks like this.
Jona Lendering
My website
Should add:

is partially financed by an Islamic regime that controls Iran

should be considered as a crime
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I am suprised this thread survived. I really do believe there should be no politics on this forum. How about you?
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I agree Goffredo, but the main topic seeems to be archaeology (who owns the ancient remains?), then US law, and only then terrorism and politics. But so far, no one has been making ugly comments, which is why the thread survives.

We also have a Greek thread in which rights and ownership of the past plays a main issue, next to modern religion, which is also a 'bannable' topic, but which is very maturely handled. Fine lines, but as long as we stay on the right side... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I think if you've been conquered in a war, or had your butt handed to you in a conflict, and the invading army took some of your stuff, too bad.

Though I don't imagine my view on things fits in very well with the affirmative action and politically correct trends we see today...LOL!!!

Seriously, this is a bit of a shame...

Legion: TBD
Sieze and sell off the treasures to finance victims because Iran is a terrorist nation? What's next? Sieze and sell oil platforms off since the nation using them is polluting the sea? Ridiculous...
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Let's keep this about archaeology and artefacts in the care/posession of museums, shall we? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
YES stop because I am getting itchy!
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."