Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache)
Quote:Tegeat hoplite is wrong!

Who said it's not, my dear Stefane? ALMOST all the 3D models/skins of this PC game mod, are not accurated because they been made from a CZECH 3D artist, with NO serious historic knowledge and patronised by a Greek teenager, thinking himself as an expert...
So, what you expect, friend?

The NEW 3D models/skins are superb & accurated! Made by a Greek 2D modeler (an ORIGINAL SPARTAN, bron in Sparta!), who spend over 200 EUROS in books, specially writting about the LACONIC warfare...

Quote:Most of the staff writen there is generalizations
Quote:There is a HUGE difference reading books and speculating and following the same trail

My friends... I don't believe that me, you, any historic/researcher... EVER be a Hoplite in the past!
We ALL reading books, following evidince & marks and we DO MAKING SPECULATIONS!
All of us! Even the archeologists DOES speculations!
If someone INVENT a time-mashine and travel in time BACK THEN, take some nice videos or pictures of the REAL Ancient Greeks,... then HE will saying/showing the TRUTH!
All the rest of us, we speculating!

Quote:You cannot go anywhere without sandals not to mention beotian boots!

I don't remember that I said "they were travel everywhere barefoot" or "they used to walking around with no shoes"... EVEN me, not a Hoplite one (!), durring my boy-scout summer-camps or my military service, I found myself barefoot to help my work, under the sun, on a earthen field...

I said, many PREFERED not wearing shoes, because naked feet "sinking" easily in the dirt and HELPS better the soldier in battle - ESPECIALLY in "Othismos" maneuver...

Quote:I would dispute this. Even my Dendra Panoply only weighs 25 kg and it is a little heavier than the original. Even with the aspis, classical hoplites carried less weight. Connolly puts the weight of the bell cuirass at around 6 kg and the aspis at 7 kg.

In EVERY book I own for Ancient Greek warfare (over 100 books), every author (ancient or modern) speaks about the HUGE weight of the panoply!
The "Aspis" was between 9-11 kgr heavy... The helmet ONLY, was about 3 kgr AT LEAST heavy - if it had a HIGH-LONG plume, it was heavier... Your "Dendron" panoply was as much as heavy as it was a Medival Knight's armor! That's why these guys fought on chariots and they had "bad day", if they had to get of the chariot and fight in the ground...

Anyway... My opinions and my books' knowlege...

Regards.
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -

Messages In This Thread
Spartan moustaches - by Arthes - 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by lupus - 07-23-2006, 10:04 AM