Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache)
Greetings "Zenodoros"...

Quote:Not true. There is at least one excavated miniature replica of a bronze muscle cuirass. This might seem like very little but all our knowledge of the appearance of the short Spartan sword during the Peloponesso-Athenian wars is based on a miniature figurine as well. The muscle cuirass figure is interesting and almost looks a bit like a modern tee-shirt!

We saying the same thing, my friend... "Bell-type" was the... old version of the "Muscular-type". So, some they would use the old type, taken from father-to-son and others would taken a "brand-new" cuirass.
It's like the Airborn Division in WWII... The fellows from the Tynisia's campaign would worn the old uniforms/equipment; the new "rookies" in 1944 would had the NEW TYPES...

Quote:b. no footwear at all

It's so simple explaination... As a boy-scout myself, I found MORE "effective" to work in the boy-camp BAREFOOT, because my feet could be EASILY stick in the dirt...
So, a full-armed Hoplite, wearing a 35 kgr. AT LEAST weaponry on and start a battle, could MORE easily used his feet witout any footwear...

Quote:Little evidence of this... Plutarch mentions that each government year the Spartiates would shave their moustaches to obey the law, but this seems only to apply once during the year. Elsewhere it would be choice - a thin, almost 'oriental' moustache seems to have been common as well (if we are to trust the helot artists). It seems that many 'new' Spartiates coming out of the agoge shaved their moustache and beard, too

True, I agree... ALMOST everything about Spartans, are speculations & theory...

Quote:I'm fairly sure that Spartiates wore pilos caps just like the rest of the hoplites. They grew their hair long to appear more aristocratic (at least this is one of the possibilities).

Yeap, they worn a wool-Pylos hat; Xenophon wrote many times about... taking off the helmets and leach their Pylos-hats to loose the TONES of sweat...

Quote:I don't see why they wouldn't use straps at times.

Of course they could... I just saying what I'm watching on statues... And, ONE PIECE armor part, is MORE "effective" that composite parts...

Quote:Early Spartans wore belts.

OF COURSE they did! Like ALL Greeks... But we talking about 5th century BC Hoplites, no?

Quote:Not necessarily, hoplon could mean any single piece of weapon or armour... you could call a 'xiphos' a 'hoplon' if you wanted. The correct term for the round shield is the 'aspis'.

Yes, of course you're right... "Hoplites" name DON'T COMES from the "Hoplon" word, many believes taking about the shield.
"ASPIS" is the right word...
"Hoplites" words comes from the word "HOPLA", which is ALL THE HOPLITE's EQUIPMENT!

Quote:I agree! But I thought that the helmet could possibly be Chalkidian and the nose guard deteriated, the flapping cheek protections could still mean a Chalkidian helmet. I think the Spartans only used a Chalkidian without any cheek-protection flaps. In any case, the Attic came in too late for it to be a picture of Leonidas or any Spartan.

SURE! It could be a "Chalkidian"! But, seams to me when I saw that statue from sort distance, it looks like an "Attic" type...

Quote:By thway Lupus, you're involved with the Rome Total War mod Hegemonia: City States, correct? Can't wait!e

I've LEFT THEM, long time ago, my friend! UNFORTUNATELLY!...
I was SO DEVOTED to this HISTORIC PC GAME's MOD (when it started!), but when this became "ONE GUY PERSONAL OPINION" mod, I fought against that, I LOOSE... and left ("self-exiled")! Also, a couple of SUPERB artists, like "Idomeneas" & "Ellysian Warrior" (too bad that "Hegemonia" would not have his SUPERB "Spartan" 3D models!) left after me...

TOO BAD, that I didn't found STEFANOS before and ask him to honor us, by coming in the "Hegemonia" team as HISTORIC ADVISOR!
We had in stead (and STILL is!), an arrogant and stupid teenager, thinking himself as... a modern Herodotus!

BTW - guys, check these books, you'll find them EXTREMELY interesting:

- "The Western Way of War", Victor Davis Hanson
- "The Wars of Ancient Greeks", Victor Davis Hanson
- "The Face of Battle", John Cigan
- "The Greek State at War", William Kentric Priecher

Regrads.
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -

Messages In This Thread
Spartan moustaches - by Arthes - 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by lupus - 07-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 10:34 AM