Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache)
Quote:Khaire Comerus,
this may be of interestSparta Museum
I will see if I can find a better picture of the Pithos....
there is a comment that a slinger depicted has a crested helm... :wink:
regards

Greetings my lady...

Yes, I've been a couple of times in Sparta's museum (when I went for vacations, in Nauplio & Monembasia)... UNFORTUNATELLY, this museum is probably the most "poor" of all Greek museums...
Why "poor"? Well, the deceased Spartan professor/philosoph DIMITRIOS LIADINIS, many times complained to the Laconia's Prefecture, that they DON'T care about the Lacedaimonians' "treasures" and they keep destroying mindless everything, by building structures/stores/houses EVERYWHERE, without searching first!
I had a college fellow, a Spartan, and he told me (like a joke!), that if someone would dig in his garden to plant... potatos or something, he would probably found a skeleton, fully armed!...

In modern Sparta, the Authority-Puplic Service, don't pay much of attention for their ancient history (at least, since 2004, when I've been there, last time...). Generally, in Greece, DON'T pay much of attention for the Ancient "treasures"...

So... in THIS museum, the Sparta's museum, there are several FINE pieces of Lacedaimonians, but quite few...

THAT statue of the "so-called" 'King Leonidas', for MY opinion - among with others - DOESN'T representing a SPARTAN warrior.
Why? The helmet, my lady, the helmet... That helmet IS NOT a Spartan helmet of 5th century...
If you study it CLOSELY ("tete-a-tete"), you will notice that you watching an ATTIC helmet, with the "flapping" cheek-protections... In the many books that I have for Hoplite Warfare, NONE of them says ANYTHING about THAT type of helmet, used in Sparta during the Persian Wars...
Also... in ANY (from the VERY FEW!) small bronze idol of Spartan warriors, you can EASILY see, the long-curl-hairs.
In this statue of 'King Leonidas', you DON'T!

Anyway... This is not JUST my opinion... Many historic/archeologists disputing and don't agree, that this is 'King Leonidas' statue...

Regards my lady...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -

Messages In This Thread
Spartan moustaches - by Arthes - 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by lupus - 07-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 10:34 AM