Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache)
Quote:What reference we have for ONLY bell-type cuirass?

My dear Stefanos, EVERY SINGLE statue from Laconia/Lacedaimon, representing a Hoplite, having a "Bell-type" cuirass! We DON'T have TOO MANY examples - very few statues had been discover - but ALL of them showing the warrior wearing a "Bell-type" cuirass... That's "all" the references we have...

Quote:
lupus:1d1nm2m5 Wrote:b. no footwear at all
Read my previous post

I've read your previous post... And as we all know, DURING SUMMER (ALL battles took place in summer! Hellenes always wait the summer for their campaigns - except some VERY SMALL exceptions...), in the dust & the dirt, you finding yourself EASY not using footware, because the naked foot is "grapping" the earth EASILY...

Quote:
lupus:1d1nm2m5 Wrote:d. long-long hair (braid-style and bundled in the top of the head and the edges under the helmet - a nice trick to protect the head from the helmet)
Practival experimets proved it cannot be done. You need arming cup for a helmet. There are examples of arming cups on potery.

Indeed, I know that you said... But, even Xenophon wrote, that Spartans used (probably in the early times) a "hair-net", holding their greasy hair...

Quote:
lupus:1d1nm2m5 Wrote:g. "one-piece" (without straps) bronze greaves
h. no belts of course

... and their "wooden rings" (in battle) around their necks or elsewhere; these were the Spartan's... "US tag", for identify them if their corpses were in bad shape (they were writting in a piece of wooden ring their names and they broke one piece of it - leaving back in their camp, so the survivors would easily match the pieces...)

What reference we have for wooden rings?
What makes you think that only "one piece" grieves existed ?

Herodotus wrote about these "wooden-rings"; the writer Springfield ("Gates of Fire") did a long research about that and included that in his novel (he likes to be as much as accurate he can)...

I didn't say that ALL Hellenes used ONLY the "one-piece" greaves... Of course they used greaves with leather-straps... But, like I wrote above, in ANY bronze idol we have from Laconia (unfortunatelly, only few), they wearing ONE PIECE greaves...
And, if you make a speculation, a ONE-PIECE greave or armor is MUCH more effective... One-piece weapons/armor, are much more long-lasting from the "composed" ones...

Cheers, dear Stefanos...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -

Messages In This Thread
Spartan moustaches - by Arthes - 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by lupus - 07-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Re: Questions (linothorax, sandals, Spartan moustache) - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 10:34 AM