Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into gaming
I've just become intersted in board gaming, having been addicted to AOE and now CaesarIII for a while. I am kind of interested in larger scale figures so I can get more detail, but the ones I've found on the net are so expensive. I have a couple of 22mm samples from Eureka that are a bit small but well detailed. I was wondering about plastic, but the Hat ones I saw on the net looked rather flat. Any advice on scale and composition (ie metal vs plastic) would be most helpful. Part of that would be if a good range is available in that scale/material.<br>
<br>
I am interested in well made figures with accurate historical detail. Any era, though main interests are the Gallic Wars / Roman Britain. Um, and Civil Wars too...<br>
<br>
I read about the game Britannia - anyone played it?<br>
<br>
best wishes<br>
P.S.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Plastic figures tend to be flat, it's part of their nature their injection moulded into metal moulds so there can't be any undercuts. That said htey're much cheaper an metal. HAT and their competitors are 20mm or there abouts. You can get 20mm in metal but most of the ranges are 15 or 25-28mm. I prefer metal, if only because of the feel of weight and the more dynamic poses and larger size. But I don't game, just paint.<br>
<br>
If you want huge armies then go plastic, unless you're feeling particularly wealthy.<br>
<br>
For Gallic Wars Gripping Beast make some nice figs (their websaite seems to be nonexistent, but London wargamers has a good gallery of their stuff - www.londongamers.co.uk/Gr...ast/GB.asp ), as do Foundry, but you'll sell your soul to buy those...<br>
<br>
I did, they're excellent.<br>
<br>
Navigator miniatures www.navigatorminiatures.com have some Romans of the ame period, but I'm not convinced, the paintjobs are pretty horrid.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Andrea Miniatures also do accurate and slightly larger (30mm)Imperial Romans. Unlike most wargame figures, they're not 'dwarfish', but they are on the expensive side at about 3,50 Euros a piece. You'll find them here <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Gratias ago....<br>
Foundry are really nice, but a bit expensive. Well, I suppose if I was buying just a few it would be fine, but it would work out to over a weeks wages for a single small army. Looked at the Andrea miniatures, and while they are lovely, they are a totally out of my price range! Gripping Beast look pretty good.<br>
I agree about Navigator...big silly hands.<br>
I guess I might settle for more basic/smaller figures for my armies (well I don't know any other gamers, so I'll have to get Caesar's legions and the Gauls...seem to have gravitated towards that era) and get a few deluxe figures for the mantlepiece.<br>
I'm keen on painting.<br>
<br>
cheers<br>
P.S.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Whichever make takes your fancy, please report back on the painting! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine