Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio XXII Primigenia: a Ring from Mainz
About a year ago, I took a photo of this ring in the Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum in Mainz. This museum has many replicas and I think this may be one of them. Does anyone know the original?

The inscription, of course, identifies the owner as a soldier of XXII Primigenia Pia Fidelis.

[Image: leg_xxii_pg_ring_rgzm.JPG]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I do not know the original but this ring looks like a genuine fake to me.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
To my knowledge the ring has been loaned to the museum by a private individual from Mainz for decades. It is genuine. The text indicates the official function of its wearer, as the custos armorum of the Legio XXII PF
Raeticus
Thanks!
Jona Lendering
My website
i come by my conclusion because of the non roman way in which the gold beeds have been attached to the ring. it clearly shows modern tooling.

therefore i dont believe the item shown is real. however the original may well be.

H.J.Vrielink.
Ave,

I cant tell wether or not that is a fake, but I do know that Legion XXII was mostly stationed in Mainz. It would be interesting if that were a real ring from the legion, because I am part of Legion XXII (reenactment group).
"I fear no enemy for the Legion is my strength. I fear not death for my strength is eternal."

Ben Geraci
Quote:I come by my conclusion because of the non roman way in which the gold beeds have been attached to the ring. it clearly shows modern tooling.
You may be right; but can you elaborate your argument? (The Mainz musea are hard to reach.)
Jona Lendering
My website
Well to be honest Jona, if you look closely you will notice that the soldering of the beeds comes out clearly from under them. On no roman or egyptian ring made of gold have i ever seen this method applied.

it must therefore be a later (modern) addition. Also I seem to see tool marks to the left of the X inscription.

The lettering of the inscription in my eyes is not consistent with the lettering of the era, especially the letter A in the C.A. part of the inscription.

Also i find it very strange there is a horizontal stripe off set just under the C.A. part, also not consistent with the era in my eyes.

The letter F is clearly made from 4 tool punches, in stead of some of the other lettering which seems to have been made by a punch containing a single letter.

also, I find it a bit hard to believe a custos armorum would be owning such an expensive ring, especially within a legion. unless it was a gift when he left service, or a votive offering.

also, no context is known.

I personally think an extensive mettallurgical investigation would definetely shed more light on this item, especially where the engraving and solder comes in.

M.VIB.M.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Thanks!!
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fate of Legio XXII Deiotariana and Sundry Related Problems Flavius Inismeus 14 6,501 01-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  fate of Legions IX Hispana XXI Rapax XXII Deiotariana Anonymous 12 3,688 12-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Anonymous