Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Spartans - edited transcript of a documentary
Thought you Greeks might want to see this edited transcript of a Channel 4 documentary on the Spartans.

[url:2zdhfnon]http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/n-s/spartans.html[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, I had seen it.
Thanks Jim.
Perhaps one of the most objective project on Sparta in my opinion
Kind regards
Khaire
and thanks Tarby.....
I have a recording of the one with Legion XIV Spartans....Discovery Channel - Ancient Warriors series...but haven't seen this.... Sad
I'm not sure about the book by Paul Cartledge, I was not keen on parts of his book on Alexander...
Anybody read his 'Spartans' ?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Hi,Arthes,
I have Paul Cartledge's book "The Spartans".
I wish I could say I've read it.Goodness knows,I've tried.
When I ordered it I anxiously awaited it's arrival. But--
I feel like a kid in school who's forced to read Shakespeare
or Latin. If I could stay awake long enough to finish a chapter.......
Ya' know?
cheers,
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:Hi,Arthes,
I have Paul Cartledge's book "The Spartans".
I wish I could say I've read it.Goodness knows,I've tried.
When I ordered it I anxiously awaited it's arrival. But--
I feel like a kid in school who's forced to read Shakespeare
or Latin. If I could stay awake long enough to finish a chapter.......
Ya' know?
cheers,
I have that problem with a library book on Ancient Greece, 'The Ancient Greeks-in their own words' by Matthew Dillon and it is quite a fascinating book, very humourous in places .... just too relaxing I suppose...lol
I just picked it up and looked at it....and feel tired....that is ridiculous... Confusedhock:
So you recommend Paul Cartledge in place of a nightcap...... :lol: :lol:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Khaire
and thanks Tarby.....
I have a recording of the one with Legion XIV Spartans....Discovery Channel - Ancient Warriors series...but haven't seen this.... Sad
I'm not sure about the book by Paul Cartledge, I was not keen on parts of his book on Alexander...
Anybody read his 'Spartans' ?
regards
Arthes

hi Big Grin

I have Cartledge's Spartans and personally i consider it a bad writen book. First of all its quite generic for someone that already has a grasp of what Sparta was. Second, he keeps moving back and forth and there is not ''flow''. Plus that many subjects are reffered again and again without point. For me it looks like a taped speech rather than a written document.

One thing that annoyed me was the hommosexuality issue among spartan warriors. I cant understand why some people struggle THAT much to prove issues where they dont exist. Cartledge presents spartan society as one of paiderasts assuming but not proving that each grown man provided the trainning to the young warriors through sexual relations. An issue that is known forbiden by law on the pain of death or exile in best case.

I use to read alot of books so im not from the people with ''allergy'' to reading. Spartans was a book that really tired me with the way it was writen. I expected much more from a reknown scholar. Thank god there are the 2 volumes about the history of Sparta by proffesor Sarantis Kargakos. Unfortunatelly its only in greek from what i know.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Quote:
Arthes:j4bz74ah Wrote:Khaire
I use to read alot of books so im not from the people with ''allergy'' to reading. Spartans was a book that really tired me with the way it was writen. I expected much more from a reknown scholar. Thank god there are the 2 volumes about the history of Sparta by proffesor Sarantis Kargakos. Unfortunatelly its only in greek from what i know.

Pity. Sounds interesting.
Quote:Thought you Greeks might want to see this edited transcript of a Channel 4 documentary on the Spartans.

[url:2dyl8cx5]http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/n-s/spartans.html[/url]

That's a pretty good article. Wish I could see the show itself.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]