Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plate-mail hybrid armor
Quote:
FlaviusCrispus:24edlxxm Wrote:according to perhaps the world's foremost expert in this subject, this firmly dates the inscription to the later first century BC - early first century AD. ……. ….. not "blind guesstimates," but educated ones by knowledgeable people based on a careful study of these intriguing pieces.

Could you please give the name of your "world's foremost expert" because in my years at uni in all the epigraphy classes I followed and in all the epigraphy handbooks I read at the time (mid nineties), there was a always a firm warning not to trust paleography as a datingmethod for inscriptions because it was unreliable and all effort of the epigraphists of the 19th and early 20th century to establish a chronology using letter forms and methods of inscribing were proven useless.
I would have to lean with Hans on this, that interesting as these plates are, we cannot rely too much on the epigraphy for dating.
Are you unable to name your “expertsâ€
Thank you!

I just came up with another tantalising idea, if the armour would be real.....

Could it possibly be of Sarmatian in origin? We know that Vespasianvs used Sarmatian Cavalry, also in the Danube area, and in the eastern parts of Roman Europe.......

Just a thought......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question When Did The Roman Army Standardize Using Plate Armor? TerminusFarseeR 21 2,297 08-27-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Hanny
  Segmentata mail hybrid Doc 19 4,804 09-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Mail (armor) question Eugene 1 936 08-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Luka Borščak